0-600 300 win bullets

• Thread starter Deleted member 119066
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 119066

Considering loading for a backup rifle as i'm running low (to me) of the factory it uses and struggling to find cheap practice ammo. Don't love the idea because I have enough stuff to load for but would rather shoot it more than not. Since it is a backup rifle it will be range limited to 600 max. I have 215s but would prefer to conserve those for my main rifle if possible(prc).

Any recommendations for a sub 600 yard bullet? Thinking a 180 class would have the speed to outrun and outwind a heavy bullet at those shorter ranges. from a quick ballistic check it seems that way at least. I am also a little crunched for time in life right now so load ease is a big deal.

I have some 181 hammers but I don't want to waste them on a factory 10 twist gun when it seems they really need a 9.5 from the website.

Right now i am thinking a 185 classic hunter?

Considering loading for a backup rifle as i'm running low (to me) of the factory it uses and struggling to find cheap practice ammo. Don't love the idea because I have enough stuff to load for but would rather shoot it more than not. Since it is a backup rifle it will be range limited to 600 max. I have 215s but would prefer to conserve those for my main rifle if possible(prc).

Any recommendations for a sub 600 yard bullet? Thinking a 180 class would have the speed to outrun and outwind a heavy bullet at those shorter ranges. from a quick ballistic check it seems that way at least. I am also a little crunched for time in life right now so load ease is a big deal.

I have some 181 hammers but I don't want to waste them on a factory 10 twist gun when it seems they really need a 9.5 from the website.

I have 2 boxes of 30 cal. 185 gr classic hunter in the classifieds for sale.

Why don't you just duplicate the factory ammo you are using now, and "Tweak" it a little to improve accuracy if you can?

Go for the 196 hammer. It's setup for a 10twist.

Idk what powders you have on hand but with my .300 wm (28" proof) I hit 3400 FPS and settled on the accuracy load of a measly 3230fps. Plenty fast for a 200 class bullet. I shot these groups while trueing my BC. 5 shots at 511, and 3 shots at 740 per Leica RF. B2ACD594-F7E0-4EBB-9D52-AD9AC2098772.jpeg

Go for the 196 hammer. It's setup for a 10twist.

Idk what powders you have on hand but with my .300 wm (28" proof) I hit 3400 FPS and settled on the accuracy load of a measly 3230fps. Plenty fast for a 200 class bullet. I shot these groups while trueing my BC. 5 shots at 511, and 3 shots at 740 per Leica RF. View attachment 286355
Nice! that is very fast. I think if I do hammers i should maybe sell my 181 and pick up some 180s

Check out the 178 absolute hammer. I'm running them just short of 3300 in my 300WM under 1/2 moa. i shoot hammers in eight rifles and load development rarely requires more than 15 rounds Unless I'm experimenting with different powders. Recently worked up a sub 1/4 moa 204 Ruger load in nine shots.

We've had great luck with plain ol' 180 nosler ballistic tips in the 300 win for short range work! I'd look into the 180 Grain hornady SST as well if your looking for a quality budget minded bullet.

I would second the 180g Ballistic Tips or 180g Accubonds. Plenty of BC to 600.
I actually started F-class to 1000 with 200g Accubonds, they are very consistent at that range, many were sceptical in my club, they went quiet when they saw the results.
Getting bullets here (Australia) can be very difficult and when something works, buy LOTS of them.

Cheers.