0.338 SMK or NAB?

I have had somewhat inconsistent terminal effects with the 250 smk (never with the 300 smk)

GG, it's interesting, i remember you testing the 250 gr bullets a couple years ago and reading your results. i realize the 250SMK has a bit sturdier construction than the 300. but, in all the posts i've read on here and in talking with several people that have a lot more experience with this stuff than anyone on here, i've never heard of a 250gr SMK failing on game. the 300 on the other hand, has a few skeletons in it's closet. the failures i'm talking about are on whitetailed deer. the bullet flies right through and the deer just stands there as if nothing happened, and then just walks off. mind you i'm not saying the 300 doesn't work. just every once in a while, it's too much for deer.

I have had somewhat inconsistent terminal effects with the 250 smk (never with the 300 smk)

GG, it's interesting, i remember you testing the 250 gr bullets a couple years ago and reading your results. i realize the 250SMK has a bit sturdier construction than the 300. but, in all the posts i've read on here and in talking with several people that have a lot more experience with this stuff than anyone on here, i've never heard of a 250gr SMK failing on game. the 300 on the other hand, has a few skeletons in it's closet. the failures i'm talking about are on whitetailed deer. the bullet flies right through and the deer just stands there as if nothing happened, and then just walks off. mind you i'm not saying the 300 doesn't work. just every once in a while, it's too much for deer.

Dave,

I have only seen 5 animals get killed at long range range with the 300 smk and all were fantastic kills with great terminal ballistics and two of those animals were buck pronghorn that are thinner skinned than any whitetail. I have never seen a 250 SMK kill anything, but I know that when I tested it, it didn't always open up. In fact, one time I shot a bowling ball balanced on a rock at just over 400 yards with the 250 SMK and it didn't even transfer enough energy to the bowling ball to knock it off the rock or even wiggle it! Then I shot it with a 225 Accubond and it blew it several feet off the rock and made a gaping hole in it. The hole from the SMK was the same small size on both sides.

GG, I know what bullet i'll be using if i go hunting bowling balls!

on a serious note. my theory on the inconsistances of expansion come from my experimenting with opening up the hollow point. most of the bullets have a cavity that's around .36 deep. but every once in a while, the cavity is full of something. not sure if it's a wax or what it is, but it will be packed full of something. my theory, and i repeat, just my thoughts, i believe this is what causes the non expansion every once in a while. i had a 300 fly through 6 milk jugs and magazines and never expand. just a hole in all the jugs. wish i could tell you this one was plugged full of something but i didn't check it before hand. hadn't developed my theory yet.

bottom line. i run a .031 drill in all my bullets and haven't had one not open up. might be much more in the catagory of one of those superstitions some of us have in the hunting/shooting game, but it's what i do.

No personal experience with the 250 SMK, but just back from my hunt out west with this to add. 4 antelope, nice 6x6 Bull, nice 4x5 Muley taken from 450 to 820 yards. All with the 300 SMK. No tracking required. I was more than pleased with the bullet performance in all cases. Bull was at 526 yds.

Jeff

DSC00643Medium.jpg

DSC00685Medium.jpg

Thanks for the pictures, but that is a target bullet and can't be used for hunting :)

What is your MV?
Did you post the hunt stories on the website, I'd be interested in reading?

edge.

LOL, Yeah they are a target bullet. I see a target on all game I shoot.:)

Muzzle velocity is 2750. I may post the story when I have some time. We also took video of a shot on a speed goat @ 820 yds. Shoulder hit and complete pass through with a 3" exit.

Jeff

WT deer shot with a 338 RUM and 250 gr AB at 40 yds. MV is 2950 fps. Picture shows the exit, size of a nickel.
Spike1116008b.jpg

JD338

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.