0.308 Berger 230gr Target vs Hornady 225gr ELD M - Practical experience

ZAR LRH

I know there is a lot if things going on about real vs advertised BC and who is doing what and and and... this thread is not about that.

Any practical data/experience out there on how the 225gr ELD M compares to the 230gr over extended distances. Firstly In BC comparison and then expansion on game.

I can't comment on the exact BC, but the 225gr ELD-M will have a similar BC to the Berger. Both bullets react similar on game, but I much prefer the ELD bullets because their polymer tip guarantees consistent and reliable expansion. The tip will also allow the bullet to expand at a couple hundred fps slower than the Berger, further extending your effective range. I have nothing against Bergers, they are very well made and can be very accurate, but I just do not like them as a hunting bullet.

I have used the 230 Berger tactical on every whitetail I've taken since 2012, I couldn't get my hands on any 215g hybrids or 230g hybrids, but every supplier had the tactical OTM so I bought 1,500 and started testing. I have taken a total of 14 head to date with that bullet.
In testing I found it would open down to 2,200fps, but would not open at all at all and only tumble at 2,000 fps. I needed better, so I started annealing the bullet forward of the bearing surface and now see reliable, steady, predictable expansion down to 1,550 fps in wet newspaper media. I have NOT shot them into game without that modification. I have recovered several shot from my 10 twist .30/06 into wet news paper that show 16"-19" of penetration at 100 yards and retention of 90g to 118g with the largest part of the mushroomed lead measuring 3/4" to 1-1/4". To date I have taken eleven head from my .30/06 from 32y out to 520y, 2440 fps mv, I have self-imposed a 750y limit on myself using that rifle. At that range I retain 1,650 fps and 1,394 ft-lb of energy. I have taken three additional head from my custom 30/338 Win mag from 12y out to 780y, 2780 fps mv. At 1,000y it holds to that same self-imposed velocity and energy standard as the .30/06 at 750y.
To date the furthest I've had to 'track' is 23 yards from a deer I shot at a tickle over 220y with my .30/06. All but three have been dead right there. I shoot a high shoulder placement and get an exit wound of 1-3/4" to 2-1/2" depending on distance.
Are there certainly more standard choices in hunting bullets? Certainly there are. If I was starting over today I'd probably choose the 215g Berger. Broz and several others have tested that bullet and reported great results in other threads on elk, mule deer, white tails...

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.