🔰 Tell us about a unique hunting experience!

JungleShooter

I'm thinking of:

● unique prey

● unique locations of the hunt/kill

● unique detection, spotting, stalking, pursuit, or tracking (e.g., methods, equipment, dumb luck, etc.)

● unique shot placement

● unique wound ballistics

● unique external ballistics (e.g., range, wind drift correction, angle, projectile)

● unique weather conditions (e.g., 10 degrees below zero, with an approaching tornado, or what have you)

● unique prey behavior (e.g., a striking death dance, or being especially smart, or especially dumb)

● unique hunter behavior: ditto

● unique use of the harvested meat, fur, etc.

Looking forward to reading about the cool and the crazy conditions under which you killed and caused damage.🤣

Matthias

Years ago I was in the military and stationed in Anchorage Alaska. In the days when residents only had to take a State conducted hunting class and there were no point system (oh, the good old days).
My buddy and I (a couple of neophyte hunters) had decided to hunt brown bear (not coastal brownies).
Firearms are Remington 700 30-06 with 220 grain commercial loads.
Drove way back into the interior and set up camp. The first day of the hunt we killed some ptarmigan so dinner was assured. Second day we awake to find we are in a cloud so scoping is out of the question. We (probably not to wisely) decide on doing a stalk and hope the clouds will clear.
Well into the morning I am glassing through the rifle scope and off in the distance I see a shadowy upright bear. Cannot make out the distance but seems like maybe 50 to 100 yards.
Again not thinking of what the bear might do to us if we get close and don't do a clean kill I keep edging forward watching the upright bear appearing to be sniffing for our scent.
The hairs on my neck are standing straight up as I wondered if this hunt was not a good idea but too late to quit.
As I am watching through the scope, the clouds lift and there less than twenty feet in front of me is a

six inch ground squirrel sitting upright on a boulder.

i was on my first pig hunt for razorbacks
, that night at campfire I heard all the stories, wow!
next morning i was hunting with a retired green beret. I spotted an enormous hog in a grass glade. He said, you spotted it, you stalk it. I did a belly crawl for a hundred yards and got close.
remembering last nights stories i looked about for nearest tree. there were non for 75 yards. This boar was at three feet high to thr shoulder. I thought about it hard, scared to dath I stalked away and back to my green beret mentor and he said, "i'd have done the same thing!".
i was 12 years old!

what a great guy!

I'm thinking of:

● unique prey

● unique locations of the hunt/kill

● unique detection, spotting, stalking, pursuit, or tracking (e.g., methods, equipment, dumb luck, etc.)

● unique shot placement

● unique wound ballistics

● unique external ballistics (e.g., range, wind drift correction, angle, projectile)

● unique weather conditions (e.g., 10 degrees below zero, with an approaching tornado, or what have you)

● unique prey behavior (e.g., a striking death dance, or being especially smart, or especially dumb)

● unique hunter behavior: ditto

● unique use of the harvested meat, fur, etc.

Looking forward to reading about the cool and the crazy conditions under which you killed and caused damage.🤣

Matthias
Sorry but none of us have responded to your request yet. Hope folks do better. LOL

I used to hunt a square mile property that had a creek bottom and several parallel ditches in it, all 300-400 yards across. At the time rifles weren't legal and a muzzleloader was effectively the longest range weapon you could use.

I was on the creek bottom and observed a nice buck 400 yards away on the next ditch. He stood up briefly, then appeared to bed back down. I decided to stalk him as I considered that just a bit further than I was comfortable shooting.

The field was corn stubble and it took me over an hour to crawl across it with my ML on my back. I aimed for a spot about 40 yards downwind of where I last saw the buck. Because of the corn stubble's height once I began the stalk I had no visibility to the buck's location.

As I finally reached the ditch, two does and a yearling entered the field on the other side of the ditch. I decided the buck was probably long gone, and I needed venison, so I'd shoot a doe. The matriarch doe kept bedding and getting up, so once when she stood up I shot her at 250 yards. The other two ran in a circle but then, apparently content that the boss was still napping, went back to grazing. So I rolled on my back and reloaded. I got back on the bipod and shot the second doe at 280 yards. I rolled on my back and reloaded again, but decided the yearling was too small to shoot.

Happy with my success, I got to my foot and took three steps up the ditch. That buck exploded not 5 yards away. I was startled but managed to get him in the scope and drop him at about 20-30 yards.

The property owner looked thoroughly befuddled when he saw I'd shot deer with a ML at over 200 yards.

ATH —

you got yourself a trio?!

Three hits in say an hour or something like that?!

And with the high tech, high performance weapon system that muzzle loaders are?!

Very cool. Triple congrats to you!! 😊

Matthias

Not my story, but this happened to my dad and his buddy. They were hunting pronghorn in Wyoming when a game warden bumped into them. They chatted for a bit and he said "You guys hunting antelope?" They said yep and he says "Come with me, I just saw a nice buck."

They drove a mile or so and they followed him up over a small rise. As promised, there was a pretty nice buck about 200 yards out. My dad's buddy gets on the bipod and dumps him with a single shot. The officer is giving him the high-five but notices the buck is back on his feet. He says "He's back up! Shoot him again!" So he does……

Only when they walk up there, lo and behold they discover two very nice, very dead antelope. The officer comes completely unhinged - wondering if he should issue himself a ticket, a ticket for the shooter, or try to revive one of the bucks. Apparently it was his first month on the job. After much excitement and hand-wringing some other hunters arrive on the scene. Fortunately they're very happy to tag one of the bucks.

Crisis averted.

I'll never forget my first black bear hunt the hounds tan her for 8 hours until they had her trees my hunting buddy told me we have to hike 3 miles the dogs did their part it's our turn I sling my browning 338 win mag on my shoulder just to be told it was to much gun and leave it in the truck so we set of with his gun into the mist we get close and he tells me straight ahead 200 yards by the gps collars and hands me a 6 in 357 mag revolver and there I go up the hill made a rookie mistake and didn't tie the dogs off to another tree I toke aim and squeezed the trigger seen I hit the bear she came down the tree alittle and looked at me **** again and hit her in the chest she dropped and came running towards me I had no trees to hide behind the dogs and the bear where fighting at my feet and last shot was the gun put to her shoulder blades and that final killed her

I was hunting whitetails in WI with a couple friends. I was up in a tree stand with a shotgun. About 11 or noon of opening day my buddy walks over to see if I had anything. I was talking to him, me up the tree and him on the ground. I said in a normal voice. " Cover your ears there's a deer walking by." I shot the doe about 25 yards away then got down out of the tree.
This happened another time when I was talking to my friend while he was sitting on a running 4-wheeler. I said cover your ears and shot a doe 50 yrds away standing in some brush. I had my buddy pick up the deer on his way back to the house with the 2 deer he had shot earlier.

So, Im a avid coyote hunter and I am pretty successful at it. I hunt several coyote derby's. I was in a one and we were out calling and didnt get any replies so we packed up and were moving towards our next spot to call. There was a fence row with trees and brush about head high. I could see thru brush and there was atleast 2 coyotes out a ways in the field on the other side of the fence row. I crawled all the way to the fence row thinking the whole time they are going to see me and bust out. I get to the fence row and put the legs of my bi-pod down I get on the scope and needed to move just a bit more - WHAM D@MN WTH something knocked the snot right out of me!!!!!!!!! As I layed their trying to get my whits back about me, I thought well maybe Id been hit by lightning the gun was laying on the ground. I had flopped flipped rolled bounced got drug by the son of satan I was atleast 6-8 ft away from my rifle. Then I made sure I didnt loose any appendages or **** my pants. Apparently in my last little 1 inch move I touched a hot electric fence with the barrel of my AR. With me flopping around like a fish outta water the coyotes were long gone and I was done with the derby that day...