“My rifle shoots .2s and .3s” ... huh?

If I set up on bags on a bench this doesn't happen. However, I shoot prone and from a bench most often depending on the rules of the club I'm at. My heart beat shows about 3 inches at this yard line which is 300yds. First 4 I can cover with a nickel then I had a brain fart on the last shot and didn't follow basic fundamentals. I broke the shot before my breathing slowed and my heart beated as I broke the shot Prone I hard hold as that is how I learned and it serves me well when I do my part.
I am a 1/2-3/4 minute shooter as a rule now. By the time I put the guns up for the summer I'm closer to a 1/4minute shooter. This rifle now has 4408 rounds through it as of today. It was a .1-.2 rifle and will still shoot .2 or better with a disiplined shooter which I no longer am.
I added the 300yd cold bore from Saturday. If I do dot drills I don't have the issues I get shooting groups with fliers. Call it adult add or whatever.

Attachments

• 300 mo beach.jpg
    300 mo beach.jpg
    1,007.4 KB · Views: 167
  • cold dirty 300.jpg
    cold dirty 300.jpg
    677.1 KB · Views: 128
Last edited:
My best is five shots, 0.135" (0.129 MOA) center-to-center from a heavy, lefthanded Sinclair machine rest and a B13 bag out back. 100 yards. Shot from a homebuilt bench. I kind o' remember it was 64.0 grains of H-4831 that was manufactured about 1963. 180-grain MatchKing bullet. 1:10 twist. The cartridge was my .300-caliber mildcat. I don't remember which scope I used. It was probably a Vortex Viper PST 6-25X Gen 1. I went and bought a really good scope after an excellent gunsmith turned a good rifle into a superb piece of machinery. Second attached image is the rifle I used. Millett scope was replaced with the aforementiond Vortex.

I have no idea how I managed to shoot such a tiny group. I have never shot so tiny since. I was getting down into the .200s before I gave the rifle away, but never below like the pictured group. Just luck and the proper conditions, I guess. Mostly luck...

On this very same day from the very same bench, my good friend JR shot a 0.086" group of five shots with his 6mm 40X. Best he's ever done, too...

Attachments

• CJS-best-group-small.JPG
    CJS-best-group-small.JPG
    92 KB · Views: 168
  • 300NDM-image - 800 pix.JPG
    300NDM-image - 800 pix.JPG
    142.9 KB · Views: 134
Last edited:
Thanks for the straight replies.

I am doing load development for a new 6.5 PRC and did an OCW at 200 yards. The barrel (25" PVA) really impressed me, as 5 different loads resulted in 22 of 23 tested rounds going into what would have been the same 1.5" at 200 yards.

Now, I was shooting off a bipod and rear bag, and all 5 groups were between .5 and .75 MOA, but I couldn't help but hear the echoes of forum posts along the lines of "I have a load that shoots .2s".

I've had poor luck from any sled type rests. I love my crown Royal bags full of sand.... And no, I don't and haven't shoot in the 2's.... Ever.

Here's one of my favorite targets....Print on 11x17 paper. If you can keep them all in the black its < .5", inside the thin black line is < 1". Its one thing to shoot a 1/2" group, it's a hole nuther thing to shoot a 1/2" group while hitting what you're aiming at! Favorite target to give "1/2 MOA all day" people. I work up my loads off sand bags front and rear, and once they are performing, I'll shoot off bipods.

Attachments

• 12 spot MOA Challange-.pdf
    73 KB · Views: 149
I don't and haven't shoot in the 2's.... Ever.
I think you could get there if you put a tight neck into your next barrel once you've shot-out your current. My .300-caliber target rifle had 0.001" total neck clearance. When the bullet is straight-on with the axis of the bore, it will do less banging and bouncing around on its way to the muzzle. I really do think that's why I was able to shoot a few groups in the .200" to .300" range...

I believe my custom built rifles are capable of .2-.3 moa accuracy. Not sure if I'll ever see it. I do load development off sandbags so there is always the opportunity for user error. If I can get repeatable results in the sub .75 MOA range I'm happy. I usually try to get it closer to the sub .5 MOA range for 5 shots.

I do use 3 shot groups for initial load development. Some people think 3 shots is not enough, but I've had rifle/load combinations that wont shoot sub 5 moa for 3 shots. I know shooting 5 shots isn't gonna shrink it up.

Last edited:
I have shot .25" groups before but it is very few and far between. Never shot anything smaller than that and it's not consistent. Heck...anything below 1/2 MOA is not consistent for me. The only time I have had a rifle shoot consistent 1/3 MOA groups was when I had my custom 338 Lapua and it weighed 14 lbs. I shot two different 4 shot groups with it on different days at 1300 yards and one group measured 4.7" and the other measured 4.9". It was a real easy rifle to shoot because of the weight. A lightweight rifle will give me fits at distance. I go for the happy medium of 9-10 lbs now. Oh and I do everything prone off a bipod and rear bag.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.