—Official 2023 Predator & Varmint Kills— Post Em Up

Yep, could be time to learn to like chucks and ground squirrels. Ate quite a few armadillo in my youth. Now, I think I'll stick with the grass eaters. Like moose, elk, whitetail and mule deer. Actually, all kinds of deer, and my all-time favorite—bison.
Cottontails are pretty good. But I only hunt them a month after a hard freeze.

Cottontails are pretty good. But I only hunt them a month after a hard freeze.
My dad was like that. We were only allowed to shoot cottontails in the winter. As my three sons got bigger we had a game going where we only took canned beans and rice to our hunting property. If they did not kill something like a cotton tail, we ate beans and rice.

One day I got on the internet and looked up "rabbit fever." Several of the articles stated that if you eat rabbits in hot weather, check the liver for spots. If the liver appears to be healthy, and the rabbit looks good on the outside, go ahead and eat the critter. I still only eat "wabbits" in the "winter."

My dad was like that. We were only allowed to shoot cottontails in the winter. As my three sons got bigger we had a game going where we only took canned beans and rice to our hunting property. If they did not kill something like a cotton tail, we ate beans and rice.

One day I got on the internet and looked up "rabbit fever." Several of the articles stated that if you eat rabbits in hot weather, check the liver for spots. If the liver appears to be healthy, and the rabbit looks good on the outside, go ahead and eat the critter. I still only eat "wabbits" in the "winter."
Yeah me too. I read the same thing but I still only eat winter rabbits.

My son & I got out after rock chucks this past weekend. It was a good day! He's the trigger man, I've been demoted to spotter and mag reloader, although once in a while he'll let me shoot some when his trigger finger gets tired. Shooting 55 gr Vmax in a 223.
20230526_150550.jpg