ziess conquest 6.5-20x50 vs sightron s3 6-24x50 vs vortex viper pst 6-24x50

SouthShot

Hey guy's i'm looking for a long range scope for hunting and f-class and was considering these 3 options.
can anyone give me their thoughts on the pro's and cons of each scope and if anyone can give me a head to head comparison on them, and which they think is the best value for money
I've already read a comparative review by Phorwath on this forum but when it was posted the viper pst didn't exist and i think the sightron has been changed slightly since then too.

I have used botht he Zeiss and the PST.. Zeiss slightly better glass but less adjustment and no Zero stop. The PST has a zero stop and more adjustment for longrange, 30mm tube, ILL reticle. Both are great scopes either would be a great pick but if you need the adjustment for long range the PST has about 20 MOA more for elevation.

Doing double duty with the F-class thrown in I would consider the Sightron SIII LRMOA in the 8-32X56 range. The higher power will help with doping wind further down range and the reticle is real nice...

My recommendation depends on where you're willing to make compromises. If F-class is more important to you than hunting, the I recommend you go with the least expensive model that provides the features you like.

Optical performance is not a big discriminator here - these three scopes are pretty close in terms of resolution. Atmospheric turbulence - not optical performance - will limit optical resolution (and contrast) under typical firing range conditions.

Like many folks, you'll probably end up with the Sightron or Vortex. They both offer great value.

If hunting is more important, however, then you should place a higher priority on optical performance. Glare performance, in particular, is very important for long range hunting because it often limits image contrast at critical times around dawn and dusk.

I've assessed the glare performance of all three scopes you listed at the last few SHOT Shows. There are big differences between these models. The Sightron has the worse glare performance - it is well below average for that price point. The Vortex is better, but still slightly below average. One reason glare is worse in these models may be that the mag range goes up to 24X. Glare at all powers gets worse as the mag range increases. You don't need magnification higher than 20X for big game hunting.

The Zeiss has above average glare performance. For hunting, I would sacrifice features here and there to have that optical quality at dawn and dusk.

I only have first hand experience with the SIII and the PST. The zero stop is a nice feature as is the illuminated reticle, but I dont have much use for either of those. The LRMOA reticle for the sightron is excellent and spot on at 2MOA per hash at 24X. The turrets feel much nicer on the sightron and really pop with each adjustment. I also feel the glass is better on the SIII. The only knock I have for the SIII is that the parallax adjustment is very touchy, but I have gotten used to making very fine adjustments. Between the SIII and the PST the SIII just comes out ahead in every aspect. Great scope and an excellent value, I will be picking up a second 6-24x50 as soon as my next build is ready for one.

The are a lot of great scopes out there that will do the job.

The Vortex PST offers a lot for the price. The Zeiss has better glass but the turrets are lacking for F-Class, Zeiss turrets are better for hunting and light target shooting.

Other scope I would recomend would be Nightforce and Kahles. I'm more of a MRAD fan but for F-Class I see MOA being better.
C197 Nightforce NXS 5.5-22x50mm 1/4 MOA NP-R1 | NXS 5.5-22x | Nightforce Optics | Rifle Scopes | OPTICS | CS Tactical

Kahles K624 Target Turret 6-24x56 Mil1 30mm | Kahles | Rifle Scopes | OPTICS | CS Tactical

We have all the above scopes in stock and more. If we can be of help feel free to ask.

Mike @ CST

the f-class will be mostly a fun thing i'll be doing on the side, my main focus will be on hunting. also i'd like to keep the price line at about $1000 so i'm not really looking at the nightforce or khales range.

We have the Zeiss Conquest line in stock and and few Vortex PST FFP MOA in stock also.

Again Zeiss has better glass and the Vortex PST is FFP and nicer turret system.

Here is a link the PST we have in stock. Also note the ones we have in stock are FFP MOA.

6-24x50mm FFP MOA
Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP EBR-1 | Viper PST Series | Vortex Optics | Rifle Scopes | OPTICS | CS Tactical

4-16x50mm FFP MOA
Vortex Viper PST 4-16x50 FFP EBR-1 | Viper PST Series | Vortex Optics | Rifle Scopes | OPTICS | CS Tactical

Here are links to the Zeiss we have a lot of them in stock.
Zeiss | Zeiss/Hensoldt | Rifle Scopes | OPTICS | CS Tactical

Another one good one to look at would be the Bushnell Elite Tactical line the 6-24x50mm with the G2DMR is a very good scope for the price. I'm testing out the 3.5-21x50mm with the G2DMR RET and love the RET., the quality of the scope is very nice.

Here is a like to it.

Bushnell 6-24x50 Elite FFP G2 DMR | Bushnell | Rifle Scopes | OPTICS | CS Tactical

Here is a photo of the G2DMR
reticle-G2DMR_point14f51981b460f0.png

Mike @ CST

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.