Zeiss

Greg Duerr

Is anyone using the new Ziess Conquest 10x42 HD's.......................They are right in my price range @ $1,000

Or the Cabela's Meopta 10x42HD's........................

G

I am a big fan of Zeiss binos, but I have not used any of the Conquest models. The Cabela's Euro's(Meopta) are great glasses for the money.

Don't own either pair specifically, but I have both brands and have used them extensively.

I am hardcore Zeiss fan and own a lot of their glass! Currently, I have a set of 10x56 RF Victory binos. They are incredible! Well worth the money and I wouldn't hesitate to get any of the Zeiss bino options.

That being said, I bought them to upgrade from my Cabela's Euro (Meopta) 12x50 and I realized I like the Cabela's too much to let go. They have incredible glass for the money and have bullet proof durability. I am really hard on gear. Duck blinds, boats, pack hunts, desert conditions, you name it. These have outlasted my friend's Swaro's and Leupold's, hands down, time and time again. Mine still work as well as the day I bought them.

If I love them both very much, but if i know a particular hunt is going to be tough conditions, I still find myself packing the Cabela's Euro's.

I think you would be happy with either of them

The Cabela's Meopta..............you really liked them? that was one of my real issues, durability........................

I was looking at the 10x42HD's.....................So you really liked them and were they worth the $1000?

G

I have had exceptional, good luck with the regular Cabela's Euro (Meopta). I could only assume the new 10x42HD would be of the same quality. Your mileage may vary. Look at the Cabelas's reviews, 189 reviews and still 4.8 out of 5 stars on the original version. The original version is a great value for the price, the HD are probably the same.
I will tell you the Zeiss are clearer and/or better glass, but I don't freak out if the Cabelas's slide off the seat and hit the floorboards of the pickup or take a bath in the bottom of a muddy duck boat. I know they can handle it and that's something to take into consideration.

Your so right about that, durability is huge if your a hard hunter .................for me that is very important.
I have looked at the new Zeiss Conquest 10x42 HD's.................I keep asking myself what do you get if you spend and extra $1500 for the Leica HD's for $2500 over the Zeiss Conquest for $1,000 Will you see $1500 more in clarity?? and or performance??
I do know that there would be huge difference in the Zeiss or the Meopta over what I have..................
But you are right about the durability thing, expecially in the Duck Blind...........I would imagine that most guys would cringe with the thought of taking their glass duck hunting.

G

The Meopta's I have were bought at the suggestion of the owner of what is probably the largest dealer in European binos in this country. He handles Leica, Zeiss and Swarovski....any of which I was willing to buy. He said "try the Meopta's, you will be very pleased." I have a lot of Zeiss and Leica optics...they are great. Having said that, I would have no hesitation in buying Meopta Meostars again.

Do you see that much difference between the Meopta's and the upper end Leica's.................enough to make the $1500 difference? Can you really see the difference

G

I CANNOT, but everyone's perception of images is not the same. That is the frustrating part of evaluating optics. I do a lot of long range glassing and when you are looking at something a mile or more away it is going to be tiny..... so it better be sharp!

It would be worth it for you in the long run to visit a retailer and physically put hands and eyes on them to find out what you like and if the difference in glass quality is worth the extra investment.
I have spent countless hours glassing with a lot of the high end glass options. Yeah, if you really look for the difference you can see one, but it's not much
But I don't think think it warrants spending another $1500 on Leica for the next higher level in glass quality if a $1k pair will do a great job for years to come.

Cabela's has the old model(non HD) 10x40's on sale for $699. That is such a good deal I almost.....nope, forget it. Some of their stores carry the big three for comparison, although I do not see how you could do much of an evaluation indoors.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts