zeiss HD5

ZSteinle

Anyone own or use one of these yet. Very cuirious about some of the features like their zero stop and lockable turrets and glass quality. Thinking about getting one of these or another sightron S3. it would be nice to have some info that the zeiss website does not list like minutes per revolution.

You need to do a lot of research. There was a really good thread not long ago here that pretty much explained the HD5. The zero stop sucks and only allows 16.5 MOA in elevation once set at your zero. You can remove the stop and get approximately 35MOA up as it advertises 70 inches at 100 yards. I think it would be a good scope if not for the zero stop issue.

I don't have an HD5, but I do have 2 Zeiss Conquest scopes. 1 is 3-12x56 w/ a 30mm tube, and the other is a 6.5-20x50 with a 1" tube. Both are excellent scopes. And for the money, you cannot beat them. Glass clarity and crispness is phenomenal.

Just got one for my 308 700 Remington tactical 20" 1 in12 with threaded barrel . Will not use the zero stop have one on my nightforce and don't use it , also one on my vortex don't use it also

I will post up my thoughts this weekend , glass looks very clear will post up pictures this weekend . Mounted mine on a 20 MOA base on prw leupolds rings gun)

5x25-50 with locking turrets

birddog67, any thoughts acquired? :D

I have the 5-25 and am considering parting with it bc its more than what i need. But like many others, i would like to hear your thoughts on it

glass is clear and colors are good , tracks well went out to 600 yards and returned to zero no problems , i like the turrents they pull up to adjust and snap back down when completed . sat it next to my 5.5x22-50 nightforce at 400 and 600 yards , later in the morning at the range , It seamed like more marage in the zeiss , i also had my shotting buddy looked thru it and he confirmed it also . All in all it a great scope in its price range .

Last edited:
Yes they were , I will be shooting tommarow and get a few different opions from guys I shoot with , and give you some more feed back

Well had 3 guys at the range look thru the scopes at 100 and 400 yards all three said scope was a little more Crisp than the night force then at 400 yards there was more mirage on the Zeiss all in all a good scope in its price range .

Has anyone here tried the rapid z 800 yet? Been following this thread for awhile, hoping someone had something to say. Planning on putting one on my 7 mag.

Has anyone here tried the rapid z 800 yet? Been following this thread for awhile, hoping someone had something to say. Planning on putting one on my 7 mag.

I have the Rapid Z on one of my Conquests. Since I dont have the calibers needed to "use" them.....I use them as hold over points

I took my new HD5 5-25(Z1000) to the range yesterday and had my regular conquest 6.5-20 (Z Varmint) on another rifle. As far as glass quality, I had them both on 18x and up to 150yds or so I didn't really see any difference between the two. The 1000yd range was closed to I wasn't able to compare them for longer distance so this doesn't say much. But they both have excellent quality glass. I didn't have any nightforce or swarovski to compare it with, but at another time I compared my regular 6.5-20 conquest with a friend's Vortex PST 6-24 and some non-HD 16x SWFA scope and we both agreed that on 16x zeiss glass quality was noticeably better than the other two so I'm pretty sure the HD5 will be as good as regular conquest at longer ranges as well. As far as other functions, HD5 is miles ahead of the regular conquest. The pull up and snap back turrets are much better. No chance of accidentally bumping them and moving the zero. Zero stop is a nice feature too if you are going to use it. I have no use for it so i took it out. All in all for $1k its a top 3 scope IMHO.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.