Zeiss Conquest scopes made in Asia

Alright....The verdict is in, yall ready for the 100% truth about the Zeiss Conquest scope parts and assembly.

Justin Minter with Zeiss was kind enough to inform me on specifics.

Dear _______,

Thank you for your inquiry to Carl Zeiss.

First, we are glad that you enjoy our products and are a fan of Zeiss!

Just as with any other international company, we receive parts from all over the world. While I am not aware of where each individual part in our products comes from, I can say that regarding our Conquest line, our parts come from Germany and are assembled here in the United States. We cannot use "made" in the United States as the Conquest scopes are in fact "assembled" here from parts that come from Germany. The glass is German, as well as some of the other components of the scopes. Again, not every individual part comes from Germany, just as not every Ford or Chevy is completely "Made in the USA".

Regarding the assembly location, the Conquest line is in fact assembled here in the continental United States. More specifically, they are assembled in New York.

Hoping to be of service to you we kindly ask you to contact us again should you need further assistance.

Sincerely,
Justin Minter

So, there's the truth. The glass and most of the parts are manufactured in their Germany plant, and then the parts are assembled in New York, NOT some 3rd world US territory. :D

Last edited:
Is that substantiative fact or your opinion formed by what you heard somewhere.? If fact, please provide a link. If personal opinion not based on facts, please state that.

Sort o0f comparable to 'Made in America' versus 'Assembled in America'........

Why be so picky about it? Give praise or give hell on the product...NOT where and who made it....geeze

I'm not. I want people (consumers) to understand the difference between Made in and assembled in and not co-mingle the phrases. That is my point.

A previous post with the picture of the scope and box it came in was captioned as made here in the post body. It wasn't.

It's too commonplace in this coutry to assume incorrectly that something is made here when it's only assembled here. People tend to blend the two phrases and in actuality they can't be.

It really matters little if the parts come from Germany or Poland or Taiwan, the bottom line is they came from an offshore country.

They weren't manufactured here by American workers. American workers (we hope) assembled them but the bulk of the labor and the revenue from that labor was not dispersed in this country and did nothing to promote our economy other than the assembly.

We can all be patriotic and we can all support American industry and jobs but it's the do as I say but I don't have to philosophy......

One reason, among many that is why we are in the pickle we are in this country, today.

I'd prefer to purchase a scope made here in it's entirety. Problem is, I can't and neither can you, because, there aren't any (that I know of) and if there are, we can't afford one.

At least (for now) we have firearms manufacturers that are domestic based and do produce quality firearms, the main reason I don't purchase offshore made firearms. Plenty out there but you won't find any in my gun cabinet.

Look, don't call me unpatriotic...I am just as patriotic as the next red-blooded American.

Everyone knows Germans make the best glass.....World-wide known fact.

Sure, did I use the wrong terminology.....Yep. But atleast I'm man enough to admit it, instead of going off on some other BS tangent about how it's not supporting our US economy... Get real man. If you really knew what all was manufactured in some 3rd world country, you wouldn't buy or own ANYTHING except clothes you made from cotton you grew, and eat only vegitable and animals you raised, and you'd live in a house with no electricity, no heating, no air, and no appliances. You might as well be a caveman with a club and 2 pieces of flint to start a fire...

I don't believe I own any off-shore mfg firearms either.

I'm not trying to antagonize, I'm just tired of people not admitting when they were wrong. I did...And I know for a fact that it won't be the last time I'll be wrong.

Not wanting to single anyone out so don't take it that way....

German glass used to be the absolute best in the world - no doubt (it's certainly priced that way). However, nowadays the very best Japanese optics manufacturers/designers run neck and neck with the very best European/German glass (at least in photography/videography).

Check the prices/performance (not just the MTF graphs - there's soooo much more to it than that!) of Fujinon lenses (or Kiocera for that matter) for broadcast video cameras. They are astronomical. Superb in every way. When you get down to it, lenses are lenses essentially. It doesn't really matter their specific application and they are usually evaluated by their ability to transmit light and minimize aberrations (chromatic or other) in the process.

It's not that German glass isn't superb - it surely is, but computer run optic's manufacturing has leveled the "field" over the last decade or so. The notion of "hand-polished" lenses trumping "machine made" is long past us now. Consider the manufacturing processes required to make the CPU in the computer you're using to read this - they are assembled using microscopes and often with robotics. Are there any European made CPU's?

Obviously as we all know, the level of precision/quality is simply a matter of the cost of manufacturing. BTW, not all Asian/Japanese workers are paid pennies.... Optics technology and manufacturing are primarily conducted by highly precise machines - the weak link is the quality of the components and human assembly. Both can be performed at high levels anywhere.

Look, don't call me unpatriotic...I am just as patriotic as the next red-blooded American.

Everyone knows Germans make the best glass.....World-wide known fact.

Sure, did I use the wrong terminology.....Yep. But atleast I'm man enough to admit it, instead of going off on some other BS tangent about how it's not supporting our US economy... Get real man. If you really knew what all was manufactured in some 3rd world country, you wouldn't buy or own ANYTHING except clothes you made from cotton you grew, and eat only vegitable and animals you raised, and you'd live in a house with no electricity, no heating, no air, and no appliances. You might as well be a caveman with a club and 2 pieces of flint to start a fire...

I don't believe I own any off-shore mfg firearms either.

I'm not trying to antagonize, I'm just tired of people not admitting when they were wrong. I did...And I know for a fact that it won't be the last time I'll be wrong.

I didn't. you took it that way.

Look at it this way. We are both kibitizing on offshore built computers, probably from China.:D

Just trying in my own small way to instill the difference. Nothing more.

Don't get your panties in a twist. Life is grand, for now.

I didn't. you took it that way.

Look at it this way. We are both kibitizing on offshore built computers, probably from China.:D

Just trying in my own small way to instill the difference. Nothing more.

Don't get your panties in a twist. Life is grand, for now.
:D Now that's funny! And something I can agree with. Never know where we're headin with this current administration (not a fan).

Yeah, I'm sure these junky computers are probably some 3rd rate country built by sweatshop employees. Wouldn't surprise me at all.

I know I said it wrong at first...That was my bad. I was just trying to get my point across. I had been told about their manufacture process before by a Zeiss rep, but I couldn't remember any major details, which is what was causing me to be thrown off.

It's a non-issue with me. I'd still like to know about Leupold and their offshore content and where they are made. Leupy is very cagey about that stuff.

I know where Vortex Vipers are made and it's not mainland USA.

The made in/assembled in thing gets my goat because of motorcycles. I'm in the aftermarket motorcycle acessory business and I'm always around chest thumping, testosterone gushing Harleyites, so I like to deflate them when I can. They don't want to hear about their 'Made in USA' bikes that are actually assembled here from sourced parts that are mostly offshore....

Really ****es them off. Thats neither here nor there, but they do like to spend money on chrome and loud pipes. I have no problem with either. In fact, if the knew the markup, they'd probably have a stroke.

No, I don't own one but I do have a garage full of bikes, just not any HD's.

It's a non-issue with me. I'd still like to know about Leupold and their offshore content and where they are made. Leupy is very cagey about that stuff.

I know where Vortex Vipers are made and it's not mainland USA.

The made in/assembled in thing gets my goat because of motorcycles. I'm in the aftermarket motorcycle acessory business and I'm always around chest thumping, testosterone gushing Harleyites, so I like to deflate them when I can. They don't want to hear about their 'Made in USA' bikes that are actually assembled here from sourced parts that are mostly offshore....

Really ****es them off. Thats neither here nor there, but they do like to spend money on chrome and loud pipes. I have no problem with either. In fact, if the knew the markup, they'd probably have a stroke.

No, I don't own one but I do have a garage full of bikes, just not any HD's.
I have always rode bikes. Dad has always rode bikes. Granddad....You get the point. LOL For my 5th birthday dad bought me a Honda XR50 (no training wheels). I have always been a badass on a bike. Raced Moto-X from age 6-16. When I was 19 I got a new 06 GSXR 600. Sold it in 2009 and got a new Harley Rocker C, b/c dad was getting an Ultra and wanted us to ride together again like the good old days. I do have Freedom Performance Amendments on my bike, which ade made in NoCal by Americans...Proudly might I add. Their customer service is excellent. You actually get an english speaking American citizen when you call. LOL if you don't sell their pipes, you should look into them. They sound incredible.

Entirely off thread but I held my AMA professional license for many years. I know Gene Romero and Skip Van Leewuen personally. Skip is one of my suppliers btw. I rode with Jack Penton and his kids back in the day. I was a Hare Scrambler ISDT rider. Rode a works Penton 250 ISDT bike.

The old bones can't take that anymore. I have a Triumph Bonneville with a sidecar, a couple Nortons and a Kawasaki ADV bike that I 'play' with ocassionally.

At my age (over 60 by a ways), I prefer more sedate hobbies. I'm more about riding in my Caddilac than anything else or flying somewhere.

I can still pack in for a hunt and camp out in the boonies but I prefer a lodge with a chef and room service. Thats the nice thing about this hobby, you can choose how much abuse you want to inflict on yourself. It's only predicated by your wallet capacity.

Have a good evening and a great day tomorrow.....

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.