Zeiss Conquest or Sightron Big Sky

Discussion in 'Long Range Scopes and Other Optics' started by blacktails, Nov 20, 2008.

1. blacktails

blacktails Well-Known Member

Anyone know how these two models compare for optics quality? I'm considering the Conquest 4.5-14x44 and the Big Sky 3-12x42 (non AO) for a new rifle. I can't find any locally to compare. I know the Conquest costs more and that their glass is very good, but the on-line comments I've found for the Sightron Big Sky models have been very glowing, with some saying their glass is at least the equal of the Conquests, but for a cheaper price. I don't want to pay more just for the Zeiss name if the quality is the same. Both have a lifetime warranty, though the Zeiss warranty is transferable. Thanks.

2. Jon Jackoviak

Jon Jackoviak Well-Known Member

In my opinion, the Zeiss hands down.

3. MagMan

MagMan Well-Known Member

blacktails, I'm looking to get rid of the same Zeiss your looking at... $550 if you are interested.

4. Longshot38

Longshot38 Well-Known Member

While I have not handled a Big Sky model I do own a Sightron SIII and I have been told it is the same glass. If so I would say the Big Sky. Just because of cost. The SIII glass is right on par with Zeiss and I would not hesitate to buy one to save money. On the other hand is is tie and matter of personal perference provided the cost is the same.

5. blacktails

blacktails Well-Known Member

Thanks to all for the advice. I ended up getting a really great deal on the Conquest and it just arrived yesterday, so I'm set for my new rifle once I get the rest of the parts on hand. If I can swing the extra $, I'm going to go ahead and get one of the Big Sky models for my newly inherited 1950's era Model 70 Featherweight, which has a Weaver K4 from the same year. Should be a BIG improvement over the old K4.

6. jwp475

jwp475 Well-Known Member

Zeiss IMHO no question

7. royinidaho

royinidaho Writers Guild

blacktails,

You done good!