Zeiss Conquest HD5 Or NF SHV

ahawks87

I am thinking about upgrading my current coyote rifle's optic. I am down to these two optics. It will either be the Zeiss HD5 3-15x50 or the NF SHV 4-15x56. I have an 5-25x50 HD5 on my deer rifle and I love it. 95% of my coyote shooting is 200-225 yards and the other is at most 300 yards. They are at day break so low light condition. I love my Zeiss for this reason. But I always wanted a Nightforce scope. How are they SHV in low light. I do not know anyone that has a SHV around here for person opinions. I can go to my local gun shop to see them out but I dont have the perfect spot to see how they fully do in low light. So I was wanting other people's thoughts on the two.

Zeiss glass is impressive and all I've ever owned are the older Conquests. To my eye they beat the NXS I have. I would assume the HD5's are phenomenal but haven't had the opportunity to handle one yet.

The down side to a Zeiss HD5 is the crosshair is a lot thicker than a Nightforce. This makes fine aiming harder at longer distances. If they were half the thickness they would still be thicker than my NPR2 crosshair in my 5.5x22 NXS's. They say the thin part is .23" at 24.6x at 100yds for the #20. I almost think it's a little thicker. The varmint reticle is .13" and would be a lot better IMO. The glass is awesome, the track like they should, and are lighter than a Nightforce. They only have 65MOA of adjustment but for most people that is plenty. I would own a couple more 5x25's if the crosshairs were thinner.

Is the Zeiss a SFP scope, and the SHV is FFP? Would that make a difference in the thickness of the crosshair when sighting on game or a target? Not really familiar with either, but I seem to remember that they were in a different Focal Plane.

The initial offering from Nightforce was SFP as is the Zeiss. Nightforce has since offered them in FFP. All of my scopes are SFP.

I really like my shv. Excellent in first/ last light conditions. I have no experience with ziess so can't say what ones better.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.