Zee Ring Insert Question!

samson

How do you install these inserts. I just got a set and they seem too big for the one inch rings. I didnt want to mess things up so I figured I would ask the pros. Also, If I want to use the +/- 20 insert to gain "up" elevation where or how do I position them? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif Thanks

These inserts are only made for the "Signature" rings. If you are trying to use the Standard Zee rings that a scope fits into without the inserts...it won't work with the inserts. The other reason inserts maybe too big is if you have the 30mm inserts and trying to fit them into 1" rings. The Signature rings have a rounded bevel or radius machined on the full 360 degrees of the inner part of the rings to accept the beveled inserts. When you have the right parts be it now or later, just remember that you are moving the cross hairs to the bullet point of impact "POI" and the bullet only drops from the time it leaves the muzzle. With that said, if you want more elevation built into your scope rings with the offset inserts; the front ring "the one closest to the muzzle should have the thin half of the insert installed in the lower half of the ring, and the thick mate will go on the top. The rear ring "closest to the shooter" will have the thick half of the insert installed into the lower ring, and the thin mate will go on the top. Now you may only need to use the offset insert in just one ring to get the amount of elevation you want. It dosen't matter which one you do if you only do one ring with offset as long as it's not going to put your scope objective on the barrel. You can use offset in one ring and the standard "zero offset" in the other ring. Or you can use the .020 in one ring and the .010 in the other: Note: Use the .020 top and bottom in the same ring, do not use one .010 on the same ring with a .020 or .000. Keep the mate together. You can also turn these to get more windage left or right if needed, this can be done with inserts and scope laying in the lower rings without the top rings in place and a toothpick will work to move the inserts around to the best guess location. Hope this helps

Well, That explains it. I have the standard Zee rings. However, in the pack of inserts I received a +5 -5, +10 -10 and a +20 -20, for a total of 6. There are no inserts for 0. Does this mean I would have to put a 10 in front and a 20 or 5 in the back for more elevation, or just not use any inserts in the back?

samson
The inserts are designed to be used in sets. Once you decide what you need where they are a pair.

For example if you need to add 30 moa of up you could put a +20 on the bottom of the front ring and the -20 on the top of the front ring. Then on the bottom of the back ring put the -10 and on the top put the +10 tighten them up and BINGO 30 moa of added elevation. (or there about)
Hope that helps
Chris

Thanks guys, now do any of you know what torque to tighten the rings and to the base? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Actually you would put the +20 on the bottom of the ring in the REAR with the -20 on the top. The -10 in the bottom front with the +10 in the top will give you 30min extra up. If you want only 20 min extra up put 0's in both the upper and lower front ring. If you look at a 20 moa base it is taller in the REAR. The 0's come with the Signature rings.
Wayne

Wayne is right with where to put the inserts to gain the extra MOA in your rings. Just thought I should add this being you are getting two different instructions. Also the zero inserts will come with the Signature Rings when you buy them new.

I use a t handled screwdriver with Torx or flat head inserts. I hand torque very firmly. Then let them sit for 30secs or so, then see if they budge. For whatever reason, letting it sit for a few secs firms up the tightening. This way I don't risk breaking the screws.

I don't use a torque wrench but the bolts will handle a lot of force without stripping or breaking.

To gain elevation, the scope should be raised at the rear and lowered at the front. That gives me a simple way to remember how to put in the inserts.

+ on the bottom rear, - on the bottom front.

Jerry

this is a chart I made a few months back that shows all of the different amounts of adjustment you can get from the signature rings, especially when you use them with a tapered base. Many have posted about getting more elevation adjustment by using these rings, but what I really like them for is to reduce the moa from a more radically tapered base. This way I can use my rifle just like normal, and before I go shoot a mile, or 2000 yd shoot, I just swap inserts around. I like a 30moa Ken Farrel base, with inserts set up for 21 moa down. This lets me go all the way to 54moa on the same base, or as low as 6moa for shooting close.
shimvaluesmed.jpg

at the bottom is a pair of formulas for figuring values with different ring spacings, or for shimming under the base.
the rows with stars are amounts avalable in 30mm tubes. Burris is not making 30mm inserts in a few thicknesses, nost noteable is the .020.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.