Youth Season

Okie Whitetail Hunter

Had a great weekend here in Oklahoma with my son. We watched over 8 different bucks (3 Shooters) but were never presented a shot. He did have fun seeing over 25 deer in one sitting though and we had some great father son time. Who else takes their youngsters out? My boy is 12 and has been hunting with me since he was 8.

I started taking my daughter for little walks when she was five. When she was three and four she would ride on my shoulders. At six, I bought her a pink daisy red ryder, and took her squirrel hunting. The squirrels were cutting hickory nuts real hard, and she was a great retriever. She loved it. We went every weekend. She also started sitting in a deer blind with me the same year. I would let her take her iPad so she wouldn't get to board. Now at seven, she's got her eye on a savage with the muddy girl stock on it, even though she's still to short to shoulder her BB gun correctly. My dad started me when I was real young, and it stuck real hard. I'm hoping to do the same with mine. Being a trucker, I see nothing but benefits to having a daughter that's not only skilled with a firearm, but is also not afraid to use it for whatever reason.

My son is too young but I take my godson and nephews sometimes. Next year will be on of my god sons first big game hunt so lookong forward to that, hopefully we can get him a nice mulie.

Sounds like you guys had a blast. As someone mentioned on another thread a couple of days ago, its called hunting not killing. For me its about the memories made.

My son is 13. We have our own property and I have crop damage tags so he whacked a nice doe with the Wby. Mark V (6.5 CRDM) last Saturday night at 225 yards. I was right beside him in our 2-man Big Game stand with my Cooper in .25-06 and dropped another doe at the same distance. Lots of fun and we donated one and got a bunch of Jalapeño/cheddar bologna and jerky made out of the other one.

The actual youth day here is on 11/15. Then, he can shoot for horns. Dad's handloads have proven to be quite accurate/effective if I do say so myself!

Next week, I'm going to try to take him to the other farm we have crop damage permits on so he can try reaching out w/ the 6.5 Lapua. He's been bugging me all week about it!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.