Your thoughts on 8mm mag project.

WSmitty01

Years ago, when it first came out,I had an 8mm Rem Mag built on a Ruger #1 action. I won't get into the time and expense that project took, but I came to really enjoy shooting it and killed 2 elk with authority at distances that I consider long at the time (both at 400 yds +). I still have all of my brass and got to thinking of having a barrel for my Stevens 200 300 mag made. There are some better calibers out there I know, but the bullet selection for 8mm just keeps getting better and better. I could have it made into a 338/8mm for the heavier bullets and propably duplicate the 340 Weatherby ballistics, or keep it in 8mm mag. There isn't that much of a difference than the 300 I already have. Any thoughts on the project? I think the 8mm was/is still a very good caliber that was just not ready for it's time!

I personaly would go with a 338 cal if its the 338-8mm or what ever , the 8mm class of bullets is growing but at a very slow pace where tha 338's are getting more and more popular all the time.
I built my dad a 338-300WSM shortly after the 300WSM came out and it wourks great then winchester came out with the 325WSM and from what I understand hasen't been worth their cost to produce it. I know I have never even seen one is any gun shops for sale nor have I heard to many writings on it.

The 8mm just hasn't cought on very well here in the US an I think that this is the major reason for its lack of popularity.

is this gun going to be a full time long range elk killer or do you plan to shoot targets with it to?

I have an 8mm Rem Mag and I must say that I love that gun. Unfortunately I've not killed an elk with it, but it accounted for a huge Mule Deer buck at about 250 yards and it shot all the way through an Antelope Buck, front to back, at about 300 yards. For many years it would shoot tight groups (of about an inch which is good for me) but then it stopped for some reason. I'm guessing that I have more than 500 rounds through it. I bought it from a guy going through gun smithing school in Trinidad and he worked the trigger over in addition to some other stuff. I believe he was the original owner. This was also the gun that taught me rear adjustable windage bases were not a good idea on a hard kicking gun (it blew them out). Because of the history I have with the caliber, I'd like to build a rifle based on the Ultra or Lapua case necked to 8mm. The only problem is that there are no "really" good bullets. I talked to Sierra and they said they have no plans to make any MK's bigger than what they already have (200gr) and about the best bullet I've found is their 220gr Game King. I'm certain that this caliber is capable of getting close to .338 performance if the right bullets were used. If anybody knows of any, please let me know.

Hicks

How about 7STW? It's an outstanding elk killer, there's a wide selection of great, high bc 7mm bullets; and you already have the brass.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.