your thoughts of my choice for 1000yrd gun

stric9

i'm about to buy a rem 700 sendero in 7mm rem mag.
i've just started shooting long range and i like this cal.
i hand load my own rounds so i don't know if that is a factor in my choice.
right now i'm pretty good at 600 yrd shooting milk jugs with my deer rifle.which is a wheatherby mk v chambered in 7mm rem mag.so i assume that a 26in bull barrel in that cal. would help me reach out to a 1000 yrds.

any suggestions or advice will be appreciated

stric9

Most Senderos I have seen were generaly pretty accurate.
First I would have a good bedding job to make sure all the contact points are their and their no stress
second I'd have the trigger "worked" down to a crisp 2lbs.
and last which is my own personal preferance , I would have the barrel recrowned.
then go out and shoot it see how it does.
I would recomend shooting quality bullets like the Sierra Match Kings or Bergers in the 168 class , they have a good BC and will server you well at 1000yds

You don't say what kind of deer you are planning on shooting and whether your goal is to shoot deer at 1000yds or just shoot paper at 1000yds.

Me personally I would set the Wby 7Rem over in the light barreled gun that is good in the woods pile and then put the Sendero over in the pile that is reserved for heavy barreled slow deliberate shot rifles.

I would get me any caliber Sendero except the one I already owned. Either drop down to the 264 Win Mag or move up to the 7 RUM or 300 Rum. A heavy 26 inch barrel in 7 Rem Mag is not going to move a bullet much faster than a #2 contour 26 inch barrel in 7 Rem mag. The 7 Rum will give you about 300+ fps more speed than the 7 Rem Mag.

I would stick with what you know works (Mark 5 ) but would suggest a move on up to the 300Wby in an Accumark. I have bought 3 of them so far for the same money as a new Sendero and they don't need a trigger right off the bat. Skim bedding one sure doesn't hurt but they don't all need it. I miss my 7mm Rem Mag but the 300 will do so much more. If your really set on the Sendero I second the 300RUM. I would get it threaded for a brake right away. My Accumark has one and it is sweet shooting.

I regularly jug hunt too. It's about the only legal varmints around here and when wounded not that many people make a big fuss over it. I do hate to see them suffer a flesh wound and watch the water leak out of them before I can hit it again to put it out of it's misery. I may start a thread to see what the public opinion of wounding jugs is.

i'm not really planning at shooting deer at 1k yrds.if i get good enough i might try shooting a doe at that distance.
most of my shooting will be done at paper and water jugs.but i would still like to be able to take a deer at that distance.will a 7 rem mag do the job?

now don' laugh but is a 300 rum and 7mm rum the same thing as 300 ultra mag and 7mm rem ultra mag.
i'm an newbie.

stric9

Yes it is the same. I have a sendero in 7 RUM and it shoots great. I am trying to burn the barrel out of it so I can put a 30' pipe on her with 1-8 twist. This is so it will stabilize the 200 grn wildcat bullets. People say that the 7 ultra is unpredictable but I have never witnessed this. It shoots very flat and accurate. I am using 168 grain matchkings over 94 grains of retumbo.
hope this helps,
Brandon

Duckinalaska,

Have you tried the 200 gr ULD RBBT in you factory barrel? There are many using it in 1-9 twists with great results and at lower velocity then you will get in your RUM.

Just curious. If you have a 1-9.5 you may be to slow.

Kirby Allen(50)

Kirby,
No I haven't tried the in my rifle yet. Do you think that they would work? I would love to use them for caribou at long ranges. If so how can I get about 300 of them. Also, is there any reloading data for them? Sorry for all of the questions, you just got me excited when you said that they might work in my factory barrel.
Thanks partner,
Brandon

[ QUOTE ]
I would love to use them for caribou at long ranges.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is my plan as well. I'm going to Quebec in September to hunt caribou and possibly black bear with the 200's in a 7mm RUM APS (hopefully /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif).

Yes the 7mm Remington mag will do what you want at 1000yds and it'll do it just as well as any other round so long as you know what your doing. The good old 7mm mag maigh not shoot as fast ,kick as hard,burn out the barrel as fast but it is still a good performer easy to find ammo for.

If you get a good deal on a 7mm mag then jump on it , shoot it all you want then in a year after you save your pennies ship it off to Kirby and let him build you a custom long range hammer. But for the time being just for learning the long range game i feel its a good caliber , actualy I think that guys should learn the long range game with a 308 winchester to get the apperciation of what wind doping realy is!!

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts