your opintion on a long range setup

I'm not arguing Jim, but i'd take a chance with the factory barrel, if it won't shoot swap it out, but there must be some reason that Northland has had a couple of the benchrest and f class new take offs that were priced at 295+ shipping so I guess they must not be to bad because back when I saw them on his page on savage shooters they were more expensive than the CBIs and only 25 less than the Shilens. Yeah every company makes a few batchs of crappy barrels but id probably take my chances because then you would already have everything and you can just swap the barrels out, its not heart surgery.

And I have rebarreled plenty of savage rifles that were far from shot out due to a lack of accuracy or consistancy, call BS all you want I'm just showing the OP there are some other options than a $1200 factory rifle.

see this link for some more info;
Northland Shooters Supply « Daily Bulletin

Target action only w/trigger $485.00 (Northland)
criterion barrel (northland), threaded and chambered 30" bull, $320
Non adj bench stock w/widden v-block. $425 (needs clear finish)
or a factory stock straight from savage. $300

$1105.00-$1230.00

I'm not posting this to "get buisness" I'm posting this because it is what I would do if I was a first timer and didn't want to flip a coin on a factory barrel.

I didn't realise that was you. i saw that sight a while back but i assumed that a custom rifle would be way out of my price range of about $1200.

I know what you mean about getting business. Like me I have just started a business. I have started to make a spotting scope system that you are able to see your bullet holes at 1 mile. I know I may never be able to shoot 1 mile but I need a rifle that can shoot at least 1000 yards. I would like to improve my skills and use my system when I go out.

my biggest problem after my rifle is where to shoot. I'm in Illinois and there isn't any ranges near me. I have a friend that I can shoot at his place I think he has about 750 yards.

I have been asked to build a gun on a turret rig for him so he can coyote hunt from his living room using a computer. naaa I don't think that is a wise idea.

backwoods, I understand some people may be better served to buy the finished factory rifle, shoot it and hone there skills, if it dosen't shoot really well they may not really notice if they themselves still need to work on there fundimentals.
I just assumed may-be wrongly that the OP was a bit experienced because he is wanting to shoot 1000yard BR and that is a large learning curve with reading conditions, bag managment, ect. Being on a budget I just think a guy would get better performance from the start going the semi custom, self build route, for near the same money.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.