Your Longest Kill on Game

My longest for some time was 920 on a small NZ feral nanny goat.

I then drilled one at 1186 (on video), then within 5 mins of that one I picked up a dirty olde billy goat @ 1230 on the bush edge, the 300 gr SMK hit the shoulder, DRT!!

Unfortunatly the cameraman failed to tell me that he had run out of DVD space so that one wasnt caught on camera, but it was still well witenessed, me and two others.

Such a feeling of achivement!!

IMHO the smaller the target vs distance is the trophy.

300WSMMAD

365 yards, standing, resting on fence post. I shot my first Elk with a puny little 7mm-08. One shot one kill,full freezer. Dropped her in her tracks! Handloaded a 160 Nosler partition. Went through both shoulders,heart and lungs.

We have done this before. For big game I have shot moose, bear, elk, deer, caribou and antelope over 1000 yards with 270, 7mm, 30 and 338 caliber rifles chambered in several cartridges in each caliber. Longest was 1340 yards on a mule deer near Alder, Montana with a 300 wby mag in the 1970's. I gave the exact distance on the other thread like this because I looked it up in my notes. Shooting from the hip now but I am sure it was 1340 something.

i shot a g-hog at 1030 yds. was verifying my drop chart right before hunting season and this g-hog literally walked out behind my 1k target that i was getting ready to pull the trigger on. i guessed him to be 25-30 yds behind the target, gave it 4 more clicks and i can assure you a 250SMK shot from an Edge will turn brown to red at 1030!

704yd Hare with a .243 Tikka T3 Super Varmint. Shot with V-Max and a cold barrel.

The light was dropping and the hare was sat on the same spot for over 20 minutes. I got him with a V-Max load in the chest.

I was made up for the day !!!

Youngun,
Great post and good luck with your long range shooting...... one thing for sure, it will keep you out of trouble. After you spend all your money on guns, ammo, and optics you won't have any money to be chasing girls or any of that kind of stuff:D

I'll give you my two longest.

I shot a doe at 1007 yards several years ago. Here in the hills of Arkansas it is hard to find a place you can see 1000 yards much less shoot that far, but I really wanted to kill something at 1000+. I have a place where I can see that far, and started putting out corn to get deer coming to the spot (it is legal to bait in AR). After a week or so of putting out corn I set up one evening and shot a doe shooting prone from a bipod with a 338 Kahn. I had my 1000+ yard shot but still it was kind of a set up......

Since then I have taken many critters in the 400, 500 and even some in the 700+ range in true hunting / field conditions, but nothing further than about 725 until this fall.

This fall I shot an antelope doe at 940 yards on a hunt out in WY. The best part of that shot was that I had a couple of non-believers watching. They think all this long range stuff is just luck........ Both just about fell over when I killed a bedded down doe the first shot with about 12 mph crosswind to deal with.

Keep shooting and have fun!

Youngun,
Great post and good luck with your long range shooting...... one thing for sure, it will keep you out of trouble. After you spend all your money on guns, ammo, and optics you won't have any money to be chasing girls or any of that kind of stuff:D

I'll give you my two longest.

I shot a doe at 1007 yards several years ago. Here in the hills of Arkansas it is hard to find a place you can see 1000 yards much less shoot that far, but I really wanted to kill something at 1000+. I have a place where I can see that far, and started putting out corn to get deer coming to the spot (it is legal to bait in AR). After a week or so of putting out corn I set up one evening and shot a doe shooting prone from a bipod with a 338 Kahn. I had my 1000+ yard shot but still it was kind of a set up......

Since then I have taken many critters in the 400, 500 and even some in the 700+ range in true hunting / field conditions, but nothing further than about 725 until this fall.

This fall I shot an antelope doe at 940 yards on a hunt out in WY. The best part of that shot was that I had a couple of non-believers watching. They think all this long range stuff is just luck........ Both just about fell over when I killed a bedded down doe the first shot with about 12 mph crosswind to deal with.

Keep shooting and have fun!

That is good shooting with the crosswind. Fun huh!:D

My longest kill was also my first racked buck when I was 16.

A 6 point walked across a field chasing a doe. I had a Rem 700 in .270 with a piece of junk Bushnell banner scope that had a compensator dial on the top. I missed the first couple of shots, but once I got it dialed up to 500 yards, I drilled him. He fell and got up and started toward the woods edge, and then shot his front leg off with a follow up shot.

I was shooting off of a forked stick that we kept in blind we built under the edge of an old barn and sitting on a 5 gallon bucket. I was hunting with my Dad's friend at the time and when he got there I tried to explain where the deer was and he said "no way". We got in the truck and drove out there and he still didn't believe me until we found the blood trail leading over to the field edge to where the deer laid dead. I will never forget the look on his face when we found him.

we clocked the distance on the truck back to the blind and it read, .3 miles so it was somewhere just over 500 yards.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.