You guys are a bad influence

ATH

Largely due to browsing here I've been complaining to my wife for nearly a year over the discontinuation of the Sendero. I'd decided I was going to get a 300 WSM custom-built in a 700 action, but that it would have to wait another year until we got together a house downpayment.

We were in Cabela's today, where I once again oggled the 300 RSAUM Sendero they've had there for nearly a year (down to $750). She convinced me I should get it for my birthday instead of waiting (what a keeper!). Then we were looking for ammo, and I complained that even Cabelas only had 2 boxes of RSAUM ammo. So she suggested I spend $100 more to get one in 300 WinMag, my second-choice cartridge.

So I got one for about $875, which I hope wasn't way over-priced. Much cheaper than the custom package I was looking at. It'll be topped with a $60 Bushnell for awhile until I can afford better glass, but that should be good enough for load development. Watch out, elk. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

i could not find one in 300 win a litle over a year ago. so i bought a rsaum and had it re-chambered to 300wsm. then i found one in 300 win ( lapua brass yes!!) . i barely got the wsm back and have not shot it. but i have shot the 300win a lot . i had a vais and a jewel installed on it.the 300 win sendero is becoming my favorite rifle. enjoy. roninflag

[ QUOTE ]
i could not find one in 300 win a litle over a year ago. so i bought a rsaum and had it re-chambered to 300wsm. then i found one in 300 win ( lapua brass yes!!) . i barely got the wsm back and have not shot it. but i have shot the 300win a lot . i had a vais and a jewel installed on it.the 300 win sendero is becoming my favorite rifle. enjoy. roninflag

[/ QUOTE ]

That's exactly what I was going to do, but what the heck. 300WinMag is a proven cartridge, and I've heard that it's hard to shoot 200gr pills from the WSM without sacrificing too much powder capacity (if I wanted to shoot 200gr pills). I wanted to stay in the short action too, but this was just quicker (and CHEAPER) all around. Though I'm stuck with the long action now, I can always rebarrel to WSM if I shoot out this barrel.

Now to decide on base and rings, so I can mount the $60 Bushnell on it until I can afford good glass...

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts