Yote scope

overbore

My son has logged 53 confirmed in three years with his 22-250 which chroinies at 3,800, he says. Claims the time to range and then squeeze one off is too long ---as Senior Wiley C is not prone to linger--- with moa measuring and the Shepheard is not set up for his velocity. Any suggestions? Many thanks, Overbore /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

[ QUOTE ]
My son has logged 53 confirmed in three years with his 22-250 which chroinies at 3,800, he says. Claims the time to range and then squeeze one off is too long ---as Senior Wiley C is not prone to linger--- with moa measuring and the Shepheard is not set up for his velocity. Any suggestions? Many thanks, Overbore /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

You didn't say what he ranges with - laser? Calibrated reticle? Big military optical rangefinder?

How far does he want to shoot?

Take a look at the Nikon BDC reticle. With a flat shooting cartridge, it should point and shoot to 400+

I'm with CatShooter. Have two Nikon Monarchs with the BDC reticle. Can't get much faster using them. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I have been told by the local gunsmith, that Nikon can now give you drop info for your load on this BDC reticle. You tell them the zero, your load info and they will give you the drop that will match the BDC perfectly.

I had one on my 7mm and it didn't work with the Bergers... the BC is to high. My bullet was 11 inches high on the 500 yard circle.

So, I sold it and bought my NF. Happy camper now...

I think it would work well, I was going to have to big of a gap on the BDC to make it work with the Bergers...

Was sighted in at 200. The 300 circle worked close enough. I was high at the 400, 500, 600, due to BC. that was only reason I got NF. Other than that, the glass was clear and bright...

Overbore, it shouldn't be any problem applying that Sheperd for LR with whatever load u're using. I'm using a 22LR BDC reticle for an AR-15 .223AI load, and it's working fine. It's certainly not set up for even 100 yd. intervals, but all i need do is look up at my BC scope cap cover where i put my range sticker, and the info's right there, quickly applied.

What i'd do is just go out and measure each tic mark (stadia) along the reticle @ 100 yds. (or 50 and dbl. it) from center x-hair as close to .1 inch as possible. Now divide each of those figures by 1.05, and u now have the measurements in MOA. Now run a ballistics program, and match up the MOA stadia zeros with the drop in MOA that the ballistics program calculates beyond your preestablished zero. Now what i do is i make my range sticker up in 50 yd. intervals to as far out as i wanna go. Often i won't even know what a particular stadia's zero actually is if it doesn't fall on a 50 yd. increment. When it comes down to it, the stadia are really only there to provide a reference point for interpolative purposes, since game rarely shows up at the exact range of a particular stadia. Here's what a range sticker may look like for one of my rigs, with range, then elevation, then 10 mph windage--

450-2.9-.5

...so if i have a coyote @ 450 yds. aim 2 stadia down + 9 tenths of the way to stadia 3, and if i have a 10 mph wind aim 5 tenths to the 1st windage stadia. Put it all on a range sticker and slap it into the Butler Creek scope cap cover. This is the easiest and quickest reference system i could ever come up with for LR shooting with a ballistic/ranging reticle.

1 other thing-- be sure and verify the actual x-hair zero, as any deviance here will be pronounced downrange.

Nikon is doing exactly what i just described to you about providing exact stadia zeros for your particular load that Sendero mentioned earlier (nice thing about the Nikon system tho is that they give u very precise and thorough reticle subtensions in their catalog. I don't know if u can get that info from the Sheperd guys--might tho. Could be worth a phone call, and will be easier than measuring them). Nikon probably won't provide interpolative zeros for the in-between stadia, tho they may. Hope this helps some.

This is great help; many thanks. Overbore /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.