Yote gun on a budget?

wlfdg,
dont think you will go wrong with the 204. i am very impressed with this cal. it kills coyotes like a death ray from hell.....might also consider a Ruger....mine is sweet, and they are american made also.

i think my next choice would be a stevens 200 in 22-250....maybe even my first choice. the 22-250 is hard to beat as an all around coyote caliber. i have found the .223 to be a little lacking in knockdown power on marginal hits at any kind of longer ranges, and you get a lot of marginal hits when hunting coyotes of opportunity (as in running like hell in the opposite direction!) good luck with whatever you decide on. AJ

Ol Mike, Thoughts, points, advice and opinions are well taken. You are right "BUY AMERICAN".
I used to load my own. I don't have a whole lot of workspace where I live now. Kind of the same with doing any kind of smith work.

I am leaning toward the Remington 700 SPS Varmint.I like the 26" barrel, Beavertail forearm I don't mind the 8.5 lb. weight. I am a hiker!

No need for a Varmint specific model?

Dogdinger, I was under the impression that the .22-250 would tear up pelts.(?)
I forgot all about the Model 77's. I like the looks of the Hawkeye's and the Mark II's. Not that looks matter all that much. I've only shot 10/22's and Mini 14's. They are amazing!

Thanks much for your time!

There's a savage predator 204 w/a simmons 4x12 42 scope on 24hr campfire sceen name "mistem" -asking $625 -very good looking rifle in "as new" condition.

'' No need for a Varmint specific model? '' -NO -they are no more accurate than a sporterweight rifle ,-until- multiple shots have been fired.Although an 8.5lb. rifle isn't that heavy -it's 10-11 pounders that get heavy after 5 miles.
Heavy barrels are for colony varmints and firing long strings in competition.
I've never seen a need for a heavy barrel w/ coyotes -ever.
I bought into the hype of a big ole mean heavy barreled VARMINT buster w/a 6x24-50 scope useless IMO..
A 204 sporterweight rifle is almost a varmint barrel due too the small caliber !

The more weight you carry the more your heart rate will be up -when you hike up a hill/mountain and spot a coyote the sooner you can steady your heart and breathing for the shot the better.

I keep myself in good shape and my mentality is the less weight you carry the farther you can go -and the hunt is more enjoyable.

Good luck w/your choice -Mike

If you have any questions on tuning/bedding etc. let us know !

Last edited:
Personaly I like blowing them in half=the buzzards gotta eat too:D But if $ and fur are the problem Stevens is a good answer, put a cheap Sightron 3-9 Mildot scope on a 204 or 223 and a coyotes in trouble out to 400 yards. The 204 would have to be an added barrel.
Stevens Model 200 Short Action

They look cool when you personalizem.
Glensdogs%20040.jpg

Shot can be made past 600 with a 223.
Cheap to shoot, easy to get bullets for and lots of
reloading information.
For a good rifle 223 or 22-250 work the 60gr nosler
will do a yote in and not do damage to the pelt....

Thanks for all the help everyone.

My lady just informed me that "we need to replace and upgrade our computer and camera before (I) can buy another gun".

Her solution was for me to sell my downhill bike since winter was coming :mad:.

She said "Then we can get a really nice computer and camera. YOU can get whatever gun you want! :rolleyes: ".

Then I got the ever famous "Why do you need another gun?" and the "Does it ever end?" :D

Coyote rifle plans are in a holding pattern ;)

Chris

ya.... ask her how many pairs of shoes she owns and total those bad boys up... LOL

hell white tenny runners go with anything as well as the Danner elkhunters.... Right ??

Chris,

Yur making this way too complicated. Not need for a Dr. Phil moment w/the lady of the house.

Be sides we all know to watch out for the guy that says he wears the pants in his house. He may lie about other things too.;)

The next time you take the missus to IF to look at camera and 'puters stop by Sportmans Whorehouse and pick up a box of Nosler Accubonds of whatever weight you think is necessary. By they way, tell her yewl only be in there a second.;)

I'd choose 140s and use them for every thing. That way you get experience great experience with one rifle (I was deadly with my only rifle for 30 years). I think that yotes at distance would a satisfying practice for deer and elk.

If you don't hit the spine the pelt damage ain't all that bad. Just keep in in the ribs and not much behind.

I think the bullet is more important than the cartridge on the pelt saving thing.

Other than that, Mach V recommendation of a Savage or Stevens 200 would be good.

do you have a shotgun or a pistol? If so, use that. Turkey loads = coyote loads. A successful calling sequence and sitting still should call them in as close as you want. If the coyotes are hanging up at several hundred yards you're already busted. the solution is more practice on the call (or maybe a new sound) not a new rifle.... Sorry to burst your bubble.

Howdy Fellas,
SM- My lady is super frugal. If she needs anything I have to buy it for her as she won't buy it herself, esp. shoes.

Roy- She actually likes going into Sportsman's Warehouse :D. I will pick up some 140 gr. somethings for my 7mm. I never said I wore the pants. This is a partnership house for sure.

L_L - I have been working on my calling. I'm new at it. I do have a shotgun. Most of the yotes I've killed have been with head shots from a .22lr inside 75 yds.

We do need a new computer and camera. Our stuff is pretty outdated.The company I do research and development for wants me to start posting trip reports with pictures. She realized that our stuff isn't up to the job before I did. There is a better chance I will make a living from backcountry snowboarding than hunting. She is super supportive of all my fun and games. I snowboard all day, everyday, all winter and spring. I do get free splitboards and gear, but, it doesn't pay the bills, yet.

At 5:30 a.m. she went from this :confused: to this :( to this :mad: pretty quick after seeing me looking at the Stevens website.

So far since June I bought a Gamo air rifle after I broke my ankle downhilling. Then I bought the 7 RM after shooting my buddies .300WM Then she left the air rifle cocked for 2 days, turning it into a Daisy BB Gun so I bought a 925R. .22lr so she wouldn't stop shooting. Then I bought a .410 in hopes she would become interested in hunting with me and the dogs.

My lady is awesome. I'm a lucky guy!

Super cheap and accurate= Stevens 200 in .223 or .204

Still cheap and accurate= Tikka T3 in same calibers.

You will get nasty exits with anything that you hit bone with on coyotes unless you use V-maxes or Blitzkings, then you will get bad surface splashes.

Chupa

Well first things first. Make sure your lady is happy. Like most house holds the women is the voice of reason. But every once and awhile its nice to be unreasonable and just go out and buy that new rifle. HaHa

I purchased a Tikka T3 .243 a month ago. I have been shooting that rifle every other day. I love it. It is really accurate and I could not be happier. Last year I used a Thompson Center in .223 and .243 for coyote hunting. That is also a very nice setup. Its more of a system to buy into and not really very cheep at all for the initial gun. Not really expensive either but around $700 or so which is not chump change.

When you do go looking at guns check out that Tikka. Its a really nice run.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.