yet another knife photo!

Matthew Gregory

It's no secret that my pal RJ Martin is one of my knifemaking heroes, and I hope he sees this homage as just that, rather than a shameless cobbing of his excellent kwaiken. I've done a few things differently for mine, although the basic theme is the same. This one used 1084, with a much less pronounced chisel tip from RJ's design. It is entirely chisel ground, though, with that wonderful scallop along the spine that adds so much motion. I've fully tapered the tang to reduce as much unnecessary mass and weight as possible, and increased the length of the handle a pinch (although I think the usual 4.5" or so is usually enough, my own hand is just wide enough to make it feel as though I'm kind of choking up on it, so this one is just shy of 4.75"). The reduction in weight from the tapered tang is incredible! I think it will be a staple of my own kwaiken designs, three more of which I hope to have done soon.

6698186849_91df64b7d1_b.jpg

6698185907_54ecd77ab1_b.jpg

Thanks for looking, and all comments welcome!

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.