Yeah or nay to the 264 win mag

i love quickload. it has completely turned around how i look at loading and has saved me large amounts of money. I can now figure out what powders should work the best with out having to buy every powder under the sun trying to figure out what works. It was on the expensive side at $150 but i find it completely worth it

Every barrel is different but from what me and my friends have been able to test its usually within about 25-30fps of what we have come up with if thats what you where meaning. It also is able to give you an indication on how temp sensitive the loads are going to be which is very nice for people who live in climate of one extreme or another.

If you don't mind fire forming brass, buying custom dies etc. You might consider a cartridge that I just developed which I believe is the best of both worlds .I shot the barrel out of my 6,5-06 AI and decided to build something similar, but with more suds. It is based on the .270W case. It has the 40 degree shoulder of the Ackley and the case capacity of the Gibbs but with a much better neck. It's dubbed the 6.5 Sherman. I rechambered my 700 Rem, with a 26" Lilja barrel. I can safely send 140 bergers down range at 3200 fps without destroying cases although accuracy is better at 3100. A .264 mag uses about 10 more grs, of powder, so my barrel should last longer. I fired a group today at 3100 fps that measured 1/4". Let me know if you are interested in knowing more.Feel free to contact me.....Rich
For those of you who may think I'm overloading, I have fired the same cases 8 times now and the primer pockets are still tight.

First off, nice username. Now I know who got it before I did :D

Your cartridge sounds great, I will keep that in mind if I decide to build a rifle. Right now my budget is jusdt as limited as my free time, and my first build id going to be either a 280AI or 6.5 WSM. How does your cartridge compare to the 6.5 WSM?

Identical in capacity to WSM. You could make a .280 sherman just as easy as the .280 AI and gain the same as I did over the 6.5 AI......Richgun)

I haven't built anything but the 6.5 so far but you could build anything you wanted with that reamer from 6.5 on up. I have no doubt that a .280 would push a 160 grainer at 3100 with a 26" barrel......Rich

Well, i did it. I decided that I would go for the 260, and if I needed a little more i the future I would build a 264. The rifle itself helped the decision a little, I found a fair price on a Remington 700 CDL SF Limited Edition in .260. It's the only 260 on the market (that I know of) that has a 24" barrel. Can't wait to get my hands on it!

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.