Yardage for load development.

remingtonman_25_06

I just bought a box of the 220g SMK for 1000 yard shooting. They will be worked up in a Rem LSS .300 RUM. I will be using Sierra's advised accuracy load of 82.4g of H-1000. I have always done load development at 100 yards, but what are the advantages of 200 or 300 yards? Or should I just stick to 100 yards? Another thing is I think something is a little screwy either with Sierra or some internet site. The Sierra book lists a max of 82.4g of H-1000 for a velocity of 2800fps. On accuratereloading.com they start at 85g and there max is 92.5 for a velocity of 3050fps. That is 10g difference of a max load. I'm sure someone in here knows for sure. Anybody have any good 220g SMK load data particularly with H-1000? I will be shooting a couple loads tomorrow.

The loads over at Accurate Reloading are developed by individuals, not a company. They may be a little "hot" and then again they may not. AS always, you should error on the safe side and start low, I'd suggest using Sierra's data to begin with.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.