XP-100 7br loading problem -?

ol mike

Bought Lapua 6br brass -expanded it to .284" w/an expander mandrel from Sinclair -checked each case to make sure it chambered right -they did.
So today I primed them -loaded two with 26gr of H-322 -seated a 139gr interlock -checked to see if they would chamber correctly -would not chamber .
I checked the outside neck diameter of a couple of non loaded cases -then measured the loaded ones -about 1K bigger when loaded .
Turned the bolt w/a bit of force and the round chambered but quite tightly -when opening the bolt it makes a "pop" at the end of the bolt opening cycle.

I looked for marks on the case and bullet finally finding a ring at the neck shoulder junction.
It's an extruding little ring that is not there before I chamber the round -it seems to make the ring after I worked the bolt up and down .
I did this to try and find a mark on the brass.
Any ideas why this is happening ?

Thanks Mike

Last edited:
you are a bit tight on your loaded neck dimension and should probably ream a thou or so off of your necks for a bit of clearance. Your chamber is nice and "square" at the neck/shoulder junction and you are rubbing there.

There was little bit of different between the Rem 7BR brass Rem 6BR brass. the 7br chamber if in XP-pistol is shorter. Nolser and Speer manual have the spec on the 7Br case you may try resize in FL die and see if that helps. the old rem 7 br brass was pretty good stuff and I used that for my 22br.

Do you have any 7br brass it should match what's in the manual I listed if your not the original owner when that 7br brass dried up someone could of tried rechamber to the 6br case.

Thanks for the help guys.
I'll be getting an outside neck turning set up soon.
I guess once I have everything there is to have for reloading -I won't have to ask questions anymore..
Thanks -Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts