XOTIC USS 4-16x 56mm arrived

Roy,

Yes the reticle is on the first focal plane.

It is kind of a false statement that the dots increase in size as they really do not. In a conventional scope with the reticle on the second focal plane, the reticle stays constant as the target either increases in size or decreases and the power ring is adjusted.

In these scopes, the dots do get smaller or larger depending on if you increase or decrease the power setting.

On a first focal plane reticle system, the dots stay consistant with the target over the entire power range. IF a dot covers x amount of area of the target on 4x, it will cover the same x amount of the target on 16x.

So while it appears the reticle increases in size it really does not in relation to the target. TO get a reticle that is still fine enough for precise shooting on high magnification as well as not being lost on low power is a fine ballance. The USS and Weaver Tacticals are set up perfectly in this aspest for big game hunting at long range.

I really would prefer the NP-R2 reticle but this system works well. I saw an IOR 4.5-14 that had a NP-R2 reticle FFP system but I am not sure that scope is available any more.

If I had my choice, I would choose that reticle design over the mil dot system but as it is not an option, the mil dot reticle can be used with great results.

No there is no real need to use the Badger Ord Max 50 rings on anything except a 50 BMG to be honest with you. OF course, is it possible to have your scope system to solid??

The reason I ordered in this mounting system is because I will be starting development of two new Allen Magnums that will require a very heavy duty system and I wanted to check this system out first hand.

You are correct though, there are many other ring systems, even from Badger Ord that are better suited for a lighter weight sporting rifle chambered for the Allen Magnums or any other round for that matter.

Yes the scope has a fast focus eye piece that I did not have to touch as it came out of the box.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Thanks for the pics Kirby, She looks good mounted on your rifle.. Very stout looking too! Thanks

[ QUOTE ]
Knobs look like my Bushnell 3200 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup, they do /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

985.jpg

JB /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Roy,

Yes the 338 Allen Mag will be coming within the next year or so after the 7mm Allen Mag has been established(PAID FOR!!)

I'm not giving out alot of details on the 338 AM but I will say it will be inpressive to say the least. The other one I was referring to is a 375 Allen Mag designed for extreme range shooting and hunting.

Richard Graves says he can do a 400 to 425 gr 375 bullet. Now its up to me to get an engine big enough to drive it to the 2800 to 3000 fps range!!! I think we have it figured out, on paper anyway.

No idea what the B.C. of a 425 gr ULD RBBT 375 bullet would be yet so can't provide any information. Just like the idea of shooting a one ounce bullet!!!

Later,

Kirby Allen(50)

Yes, as JB1000br has posted they are extremely similiar in design. Only real difference in the turrets is that the USS is a 15 moa per revolution, the BL tacatical is 12 moa and the BL 3200 is 10 moa.

Kirby Allen(50)

Jimm,
Before anyone says anything i'm not trying to hijack this thread to open another discussion on fishing /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif but i'm sorry to hear your boat is broke, can you not hire one like my buddy and myself do. We have made our fishfinder portable, alternativly why not fish from the bank, my best pike was caught only 10ft from the bank in 18ins of water. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Back on track now, I think you will get a lot of enjoyment out of your Leupold scope just the same as i have. I have now had it for 18 months doing duty on top my 300WSM without a hitch.
After purchasing a 6.5-20x50 LRT with the Varmint/Hunter reticle, i am starting to dislike the Mil-dot reticle on the MK4 and want have it changed to the same. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Ian.

"I mean't to shoot the pike but the duck got in the way"

I can't wait to see the .338 AM.. That should be mighty impressive. If I won the lottery I'd buy the whole stable of Allen Mags..

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.