XOTIC USS 4-16x 56mm arrived

Fiftydriver

Official LRH Sponsor
Just got my USS 4-16x 56mm in the other day and I am very impressed with the scope so far. Clarity is on par with any top end scope I have tested yet including the Nightforce. It is far and away better then the Leu Mk4 in clarity and brightness.

I took it out the other night an hour after sun set with a 1/2 moon out and on 4x I could see 300 yards out into the hay field. I would not be able to count points on a deers rack but I would be able to take a shot at a coyote on a 3/4 to full moon night I believe.

I also really like the first focal plane reticle location which is something I would like to see on every tactical and long range scope out there.

Vertical elevation adjustment is well over 100 moas so this scope will take things out a very long way with no special bases or rings.

The only problems I have with the scope are really simple things.

First is its 56mm objective. I know this aids in brightness but it makes it difficult, impossible to mount low on a receiver. Still, for a heavy rifle this is not a problem at all.

Second is I would have liked to see a 5-20x version over the 4-16 just to offer a bit more power on the top end. That said, I have taken chucks at +1000 yards with lesser quality scopes on 15 and 16x so I suspect this scope will serve me very well out to 1500 yards.

I will be mounting this scope on my 26 lb 338 Kahn for range testing. I ordered a Badger Ord 20 moa base and a pair of Bad. Ord 50 Max 30mm High rings to allow the big 56mm objective to clear the 1.350" straight cylinder barrel on my Kahn.

When I get to the range I will report on the results.

The SS 16x on my Kahn right now will be moved over to my LAR 50 BMG to see how it handles the abuse from that beast.

Will report on my results soon.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Kirby,
I can't wait to hear more about this scope. Do you think this scope would be a good one to use in conjunction with your Allen mags? Especially in my situation using a stock rifle without a raised cheekpiece?

Boman,

On a stock rifle no, I would say it would not be a good choice, the reason is that without the higher cheek piece your cheek weld would be very poor quality.

As far as use with my Allen Mags, I personally feel this may be the ultimate big game, long range hunting scope. If it lives up to the reputation I have been hearing it will rival the nightforce NXS scopes in clarity, vertical adjustment and repeatability but we will see. Expecting that from a scope that costs 2/3 rds the price is asking alot but from what I have seen so far it is not unrealistic.

To be honest, this scope will be mounted on my 338 Kahn for testing now but will be riding on my 7mm Allen Mag as soon as it is built.

While this scope will serve well for extreme range shooting it will be vastly better suited to long range big game hunting.

The big 56mm objective does require the scope to be mounted quite high so this is the reason I would say it would not be a great choice for a stock rifle.

Good Shooting

Kirby Allen(50)

Kirby, exactly how much is 2/3rds.? Also , reckon that big 56mm obj. might be a part of why it's brighter than the mk4? BTW, where did you get yours , Thanks, Jim

Jim,

Mine cost me $813 delivered, this is regular price from SWFA. They say this is an introductry price so I do not know when or if or to how much it may increase in the future.

Of course the 56mm objective will increase brightness but to be honest, internal glass quality has as much to do with light transmission as objective does.

With the quality of glass the USS has it could easily use as small as a 40mm objective and I still would suspect it would be brighter and clearer then the Mk4.

It would also be a better big game scope as well in my opinion.

Go to www.swfa.com and check them out.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

I just wish to goodness that I could go somewhere around here and compare side by side!I really thought that a mk 4 leupold would be as good a quality scope that I could afford and know that it would be well taken care of if there were any problems.There is not much money diff. but I have 'nt looked through one.Im not a conspiracy theorist but sometimes I feel like there is one against leupold. I know ,just call me goofy but thats the way I feel.J ust curious , what are the long range matches being won with? I know that I coul;d search and find out but I figure that ya'll already know so, enlighten me .T his s really beginning to get to me because of all that I've read here my guns are'nt back , so what am I supposed to do, and don't say go fishing cause my boat is broke! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gifI know that Jerry Teo Likes to tout any thing that is not top of the line ( but works )and I really respect his take on all this foolishness. h e really like s to find non traditional aannnnd less expensive ways to provide the same level of performance.Then I read about a IOr scope , marvelous ,wonderful , yeah! and it costs about 500 more tha the leupold it 's being compared to. T^hen I read about an XOtic that is about the same price as the mk4 leupold , but hey ! it needs to be sent back because it's gimped ,aannnd there are more people steeping up to the plate telling their stoies about their problems with this particular brand.Wheeeeewww! Sorry , guess I let it build too long /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif Please don't misunderstand , you guys are a great group and I have /do enjoy the exchange of info that is available here. I suppose that I 'm thinking there should be some kind of benchmark and go from there. Please forgive this outburst ,but I would like to find out if I'm the only one to have this problem. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif Jim

Jimm,

I think your getting a bit worked up over nothing. This is just another option out there for us to look at for a good quality scope at a reasonable price.

The Leu Mk4 is a great family of scopes. The Mk4s I am directly referring to are the fixed power M1 16x and the new M1 8.5-25 variable.

TO say that either are not very quality scopes would be foolish but from what I am looking at and seeing with my own eyes is that the USS is clearer then both, again to my eyes, this is a subjective thing. And in low light far brighter then the 16x and noticably brighter then the big variable.

I have also compared it directly to a Nightforce 12-42 NXS and again the USS is far brighter and every bit as clear.

TO be fair though, the exit pupil on the USS is far larger then this highest power Nightforce and as such I would say that the Nightforce 5.5-22 NXS would win the comparison battle with the USS in every catagory except in total vertical adjustment where they will be nearly identical.

When I set all four scope, Mk4 16x, Mk4 8.5-25, USS 4-16 and the nightforce 12-42 all on 16x, this is how I would rank them in clearity and brightness from best to good:

1. Nightforce
2. USS
3. Mk4 8.5-25
4. Mk4 16x

This can be directly related to the objective size for sure as the top two are 56mm and then its 50mm and 40mm.

Still, as you said, we need to look at track record as well when choosing a new optical system for long range shooting. You ask what scopes are winning all the matches, well, I can not say for conventional small bore shooting but in the 50 BMG 1000 yard matches I would say the Nightforce 5.5-22 NXS probably is used 80% of the time by all shooters including the top. Next would be the Lue and then if you can believe it the Weaver target models!

The Nightforce is used dramatically more then any other scope in the 50 BMG world.

I can not tell you how this USS shoots, have not tested her on the range yet but I have mounted it on a rifle I just finished in 338 Kahn built on a Wby MkV receiver, 27" Lilja fluted HV taper SS barrel and pillar bedded in a McMillan A-5 stock. I fitted the rifle with a Holland QD brake and will be testing it later in the week before shipping to its new hope.

This little monster, weighting in at around 18 lbs will give the scope a work out and we will see how she handles the strain.

After that it will go on my 26 lb 338 Kahn on a Badger Ord rail and Badger Ord max 50 rings. Then I will be able to test out to well past a mile and report the results.

So do not take these reports as a knock to Luepold. They are kind of the standard but there are other scopes out there that are providing same quality at the same or lower price range.

Just another option my friend, welcome it. I ordered one in as I was hearing this USS was offering performance similiar to the Nightforce with an $800 price tag. I wanted to be able to tell my customers what I thought of the scope from direct hands on experience. Same thing I did with the $300 Super Sniper scope which is not riding on my 50 BMG and doing very well.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Kirby Allen, ( did'nt you always hate it when the folks called you by the full moniker) Hey man ,I suppose your right , I should welcome new options.As far as your subjective take on these scopes goes I'm good with that.We see what we see.You know , the bottom line is that we all want to make the best decision we can when shelling out these kind of bucks. Do they offer a higher power vari! oh yeah , where did you get yours?Thanks man ,God bless, Jim

Kirby,
Do you have any pics with the .338Kahn and the scope on top? I'd like to see that setup. Thanks.

Jimm,

Could hardly agree more. With the cost of things these days we always need to get the best bang for the buck. There is always some risk involved in using a new brand of anything but someone has to try them and to see if they are up to the cut. As I have said, I have not shot this scope yet. I fitted it on a customers 338 Kahn for testing but am still in the break in stage. Will tell you soon what I think of it on the range.

This is the only power or model offered so far to my knowledge. I would say a 5-20 would be a better all around choice but thats just me, maybe if these get enough response there will be more models come out.

I ordered mine from Chris at www.swfa.com

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Boman,

I got the Badger Ord. 20 moa base and high Max-50 rings yester and mounted them up on the Kahn. Very impressed with this system.

Everyone know the quality of the Bad. Ord. products but I was very impressed with the Max 50 rings. For a heavy duty system they are the best I have seen yet.

They are over an inch long and have a six screw system on the top caps.

My 338 Kahn with the Burris base and rings and the 16x Super Sniper weighted an even 26 lbs. With the Badger Ord. mounting system and USS scope total rifle weight will be a tick over 28.5 lbs!!!

The rings alone weight a full pound!!

Certainly not a system for a light weight rifle but for this rifle they will be perfect.

I still have the USS mounted on another lighter duty tactical 338 Kahn for testing which I should get finished here this week, then it will be onto the Big Kahn and I will take some pics of both the Scope and the mounting system. This system will look very much at home ontop of the big 338. The Super Sniper actually looked a little small.

It looks much better on my LAR 50 BMG!

Will post some pics soon.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Boman,

Here are some pics of the Kahn with the XOTIC USS 4-16x 56mm mounted on a Badger Ord 20 moa base rail and in Badger Odr Max-50 high rings which are simply the most AWSOME ring system I have every seen from a strength standpoint.

They make the Leupold Mk4 rings look like Tasco aluminum rimfire rings. Nowo before anywone get ****ed off, I like the Leupold rings, they are great quality but they are puny in comparision with these BD Max 50s.

293626.jpg

This shows the full rifle with the scope mounted. The size of the scope and mounting system fits very well with the size of the Extreme V-Block 338 Kahn.

293629.jpg

Here is a good look at the Badger Odr. base rail and Max 50 rings. The picture tells more then I can, strength supreme! At first I did not really care for the big white "XOTIC U.S.S." on the side focus but I have come to like it. I really like the clean, clear markings on the adjustment turrets and side focus. The adjustment turrets are 15 moa per revolution by the way with 1/4 moa clicks which seem to be right on the mark.

293635.jpg

This rear view shows the clear markings on the adjustments from the shooters position. Also, the adjustment knobs are large in size and easy to work. THey are not overly hard to turn but not to easy either to allow accidental clicks from bumps in the field. They have a very audible click for each adjustment so you would definately know when the adjustments are being made even if you could not see them.

The side parallax adjustment is clearly marked from sub 100 yard ranges out to 1000 yards and infinity. The turning motion is solid and even thoughout the adjustment as is the power adjustment ring.

293638.jpg

This scope also has a detent stop in the power adjustment ring as well as an audible click when the scope hits the 10x adjustment. For the military crowd and many tactically trained shooters, this will be a good feature as they are trained to shoot mainly off 10x as far as I know.

I have only been able to test it one time as we have been having some heavy rain lately.

I did go out and get the scope on paper at 100 yards and then moved back to 500 yards. The mirage was very heavy as we had just received 1.5" of rain and that day it had warmed up to around 70 degrees and I was shooting over an alfalfa field which if any of you have done know that the mirage is intense off these wet fields when it warms up.

Anyway, at 500 yards, I shot five three shot groups with the 300 gr Wildcat ULD over 106.0 gr H-50BMG. The largest group was 1.9" ctc, the smallest was .878" ctc with the averge group size measured ctc was 1.377".

Typical of what this rifle will do. Now I just have to find the time to take her up and test her at 1760 yards and see how she runs at extreme range.

So far I have been very impressed with the performance of this scope and feel it is a very quality option for the price you have to pay.

Only thing I would change would be to increase the power range to a 5-20 an possible decrease the objective to a 48 to 50 mm size to work better on conventional rifles.

I feel a 44 or 45 mm onjective would still perform extremely well with the 4-16 version as the glass quality is very good. Would make a much more user friendly scope for the conventional rifle user.

All in all, so far a great product. Will report more when I do more testing.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Kirby,

Couple of questions to just verify things.

Reticle is in the first plane, right?

Does dots increasing in size help or hinder other than keeping the inches per moa constant?

Any need for NP-2 reticle?

Any "real" need for those massive rings on a sporter weight AM?

Oops, forgot one. It has the diopter focus thingy right?

Thanks,

Roy

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.