XLC or TSX?

KodiakHntr

Okay, next question, XLC or TSX? I'm thinking where I hunt mostly there is a lot of moisture, and perhaps the TSX isn't going to give adequate moisture protection. Anyone experienced any problems like that? (It rains and snows alot here). I'm not hugely worried about any possible velocity gains or losses between the 2 bullet styles out of the Ultra Mag, although I am starting to look a little more closely at the 180's as opposed to the 168gr bullets now.

DAve

TSX 200gr in .30 and 225gr in .338 are accurate, do not fragment and consistantly open like a flower. I like them. Would assume other weights and caliber do the same. I moly coat them and drive them very fast with no problems. Never shot the XLC but believe they would preform well too. Try both.
db

XLC's are crap. Shoot **** poor. TSX are supposed to be better, but I could care less. Accubond drop'em as fast and have way better BC's and are super accurate. Why would anyone use barnes?

[ QUOTE ]
XLC's are crap. Shoot **** poor. TSX are supposed to be better, but I could care less. Accubond drop'em as fast and have way better BC's and are super accurate. Why would anyone use barnes?

[/ QUOTE ]
When I read this the first time I thought it was a bit too abrasive, when I read it the second time yes it is a bit rough but I have to agree.
UB

I have no experience with the XLC's. I have shot the 180 TXS quite a bit. My 300 win shoots them in the .3 moa cosistently Every animal shot with the TXS have been impressive with my longest 777 yards was DRT I have had a positive experience with the TXS in 300 win, 338 Win,30/06

I've used the XLC in Africa while doing some plains game, of course performance was "X", as expected. One shot, one kill...boring

Later I decided to switch to the TSX since accuracy with the XLC was very erratic. On the other hand, the TSX is a performer.

Interesting. If I wanted to be insulted by people who don't like my bullet choice I would of asked for insults. I'm feeling charitable tonight, so I'll let that go.

I myself have heard about erratic accuracy with the XLC's, and XFB also (which have been my bullet of choice till now) but have never experienced it first hand. My .264 is a sub MOA rifle at 100 yards with the X bullet, and its a sub moa rifle at 400 yards, so to me that is adequate for 100% of the killing I do. And so far, everything I've pointed it at has been DRT, one shot. The only thing I'm curious about is close range blood shot meat damage at extreme velocity.
So, anyone have any input?

Kodiak, Which X bullet did you use in your .264? I liked using the 120 XLC's in mine... great velocity and they were as accurate as any other bullet I tried. When I tried the 120 TSX I had to back way down in powder due to too much pressure. I'm now having it rebarreled to a 28" Broughton 5C and am anxious to start over on new loads. The new 130 Accubond will be fun to experiment with. For distance I like both the 142 SMK's and the 138 silver scenars...

Bullseye,
My bullet that I used for years was the 140 X bullet flat base. Loved it. But this last fall I was forced to switch to the 130gr flat base due to availability issues of the 140's. We did use the last of the 140's to hammer one moose and one elk this last fall, the moose went down at the shot after my partner missed him 4 times with an '06 (talk about eratic accuracy) at 275 yards. Quartering in at 278 yards, 4 feet of penetration, neck, shoulder, and spine all decimated with a bullet hole you could poke a pool cue through. That's the main reason I use X bullets. I like knowing that regardless of the angle, regardless of which way a big critter is pointing, I can slip a bullet into his lungs. Even if it means breaking his skull, his shoulder socket, his hip, whatever is in the way, first. Although, the speeeeeed of the 130's was pretty cool I must say. I didn't receive full penetration from the 130 on the whitetail I shot last fall, however, that bullet was still doing in the neighborhood of 3000fps+ when it hit him in the chest, and we recovered that one in his back leg, under the skin. So I guess 5 feet of penetration is okay at close range. Better than finding fragments in his liver from a lead core plastic tip bullet any day!

The XLC is off & on depending on bore size & how it "fits" the rifle. It reduced fouling & pressure but was a stepping stone to the TSX. XLC are being phased out with the TSX and MRX coming on line. Like the flat bases, you better store up a supply if they shoot well and you want to keep using them. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Storing up a supply is easier said than done....Any time I find a box, I buy them, and I haven't seen a box of them for a while...Hence the step up to a .30 cal rifle...Everybody starts out a new bullet in 30 cal, and they keep making them in 30 cal for a while longer than anything else....

Using a 180 TSX in a 30-378 Wby @ a bit under 3400 fps, took a bull last fall at 35 yds. In 05 took a bull abit over 700 yds. Also two other bulls, cow and a mule deer over 500 yds. As usual no complaints with the TSX.
Now the XLC is another story, could never make em shoot. As I'm increasing my effect yardage I'm taking another look at the AB, also playing with Wildcat bullets.
TSX or AB, use whichever your rifle prefers.

Phil
I like cats
Gophers too !!

I'll admit that I've the TSX actually shoot well. They do drop'em in there tracks. But, for less $$$ I get Nosler AB's that shoot lights out and drop them just as quick.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.