Wyoming Whitetail

muley

I finally got my big whitetail! As for the long range shot, Savage LRH 6.5x284, 127 grain Barnes LRX at 20 yards lol. We saw them around 500 yards away and him and another buck disappeared in a creek bottom. I walked the creek for about 1/8 of a mile working through the tall wheatgrass and cattails. I got to the end and decided I hadn't checked an old oxbow good enough. I went a hundred yards back and looked at the cattails. All of a sudden he jumped out of the spot I was directly looking at. I had not seen him at all. I shot him as he lunged up the bank. I took a few pictures and rested about 10 minutes when the second buck jumped out from the same cattails about 15 yards away. I had walked by both of these bucks twice. The first one jumped when I stopped and looked directly at where he was bedded. If he would have stayed there I would have never seen him. He must have been laying flat on the ground in the cattails. I did recover the bullet that went through about a foot of spine. It was fully expanded and only missing one petal. I did not find the one through the shoulder.

Attachments

• Oct7DavesWhitetailBuck (6).jpg
    Oct7DavesWhitetailBuck (6).jpg
    200.3 KB · Views: 250
No telling how many we have all walked past in those situations. They're pretty cagey. Nice shot and deer. I'd rather 500 standing than short range runners anytime. Tough shot.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.