Wyoming Thorofare Elk Hunt

Long Time Long Ranger

Ok, I've had enough about the thorofare on the other threads. I was telling my wife about it today and she said your not getting any younger and need to go back.

Just to see if anyone is interested in a hunt in there. I will swap my knowledge and expertise of the area for a horse. I have a friend who will rent me the horses and I can arrange the hunt. I can pick guys up at the airport or meet you in a vehicle. Have the horses ready at the trailhead ready for the hunt. A group chips in and rents me a horse and I will carry you in there. We all share the camp chores. It is as remote and beautiful a wilderness as anywhere you will ever see. We can hunt elk with a rifle during the rut. I am as good a caller as there is anywhere guaranteed. I am confident we will see elk and have a good time if you love true wilderness. It is very remote and you can not have a fear of grizzlies which you probably will see. They have actually learned to come out of the park to this area to feast on hunter kills. I have hunted grizzly country for thirty years and never had a problem but obviously some people do get ate every year. Typically they are doing something they shouldn't.

If enough people are interested I am not against doing two groups. I love being in that country. If a group wanted I will take you through the entire country from the Cody side and bring you out below the south entrance of Yellowstone if you want the trip of your life. My wife will not mind a trip to Coldwater creek and the cowboy bar in jackson to bring the trailer over and pick us up. You will need to pay her diesel though. Fishing in there can be good. There are good places to hunt all through there.

The late Gordon Eastman (Mike's Dad) showed me the country many years ago. He guided that country in the 60's and knew all that country around Jackson well including the Gros Ventre country and many others. He was the first guy I know of that brought wolves to NW Wyoming. But he kept his in a pen. I have hunted all through there mostly out of a backpack when I was younger. I have gone in Deer creek and came out Pacific creek on the other side more than once. Probably 50 miles through there.

Non-residents need a general elk license by application. Your odds are good without a point. Usually you can spot a bull in there in the 300 class. Big 370 class bulls come out of there every year. Not many places that do not require a lot of points you can say that about. I am not concerned about anyone finding my spots because I am getting to old to hunt it much anymore and really just want to get in there one more time. Why, Like Gus on Lonesome Dove said, "because it's there". Also the fact that it is something you have got to do once to see this country and nobody is crazy enough to go back and do it again except true wilderness guys like me. To my knowledge it is the largest wilderness in the US outside of Alaska. Plenty of room to park your mule in that country.

If anyone is interested PM me and I can answer any of your questions and see if we can work it out.

Are you talking about this season or next? And what do you want to swap?

When do the tags need to be applied for by?

Steve

This season if anybody has a tag. If not then next season. You have to apply in January for a general elk tag. I will check the odds and see what they are and get back.

For a regular price tag it is 46.37% chance with no points and 100% with one point. It is 100% draw with the special tag which costs more. So for next year a guy who wanted to go would be guaranteed a tag at the higher price and 46.37% with the regular price tag and no points. 1 point and guaranteed tag.

The group pays for my horse rental or if they have horses bring one for me. In other words I swap my expertise of the area for a horse. I am to old to backpack it anymore. I could get in there but not back out with my elk.

Last edited:
Wow what an opportunity! It's not in the cards this season as That's right in the middle of senior year/ writing college applications... However season of 12/13 I plan on hunting for several months around the west... And would love to learn from such an experienced hunter. However id have to see what I can come with to trade, unless your interested in middle of the road, pressured VA whitetail :rolleyes:

Oliver

Oliver, It will have to be next year because hunters have to apply in January and that has passed. The trade is the group chips in and pays for my horse rental. Last time I talked to him he said he would rent me horses for $500 each. So 3-4 guys chip in that is not much. Basically just offering to help some guys out and give me a chance to get in there at least one more time before I get to old. Right now I am still in excellent hunting shape and can hang in there with about anybody. Ask the guys that went to Alaska with me last year. But at my age things can start going downhill fast and I want to see some of my old stomping grounds again not only here at home but all over the west. So I thought I would offer a group a bargain and help me out at the same time. At your age it would be fantastic country to learn because it will be there with good hunting for many years to come. That area is sacred and completely off limits politically to any proposal to change it. You could hunt it for many years and take many good bulls out of there once you spent a trip learning the ropes a bit. I am taking a couple of younger hunting friends into the greys river country this year on horseback to show them some hotspots for big mulies for the same purpose. At their age they will learn some good spots to hunt for many years.

If the older guys do not pass it down before they are gone then we lose more and more young hunters as the years go by. I have always done what I could to teach and help younger guys including my son to show them fun ethical things to get involved with instead of getting involved in all the wrong things. I want to pass on all the knowledge of the backcountry I can while I can. I have a MS in wildlife ecology and try to help people understand the entire ecosystem they are traveling through and all the problems facing it. So maybe a younger guy will click and try and help with all the pressures being placed on our few remaining wild lands.

Last edited:
I dont really have a hunt to swap (maybe a thermopols antelope hunt? haha) but if I dont draw my 64 late bull tag ill be hunting general in the thorofare also so maybe we could just hunt togeather if you dont find anyone. my email in [email protected]

Thanks Mike, I put in for the same hunt so we may hunt in the same spot either way. I have drawn it once the last five years. If we don't draw then we might could work that out. A couple other guys from Wyoming have also said they are interested so we could probably have a pretty good trip in there with four guys or so.

I was reading through the regs and was glad to see non-residents could put in for a point this year in July-Sept. Then it is a 100% draw next year. The area I hunt is within the Teton Wilderness Area so a nonresident must be in the group with a resident to be legal in this area. Non-residents can not just go in there.

well then you probably know my grandfather john leroux he has the box H ranch just past grass creek. i usually hunt on his place up on raspberry. this year I shot a cow on little grass on public. hopefully we both draw this year. if not it looks like we very well may have an opportunity for a cool general hunt. keep me posted!

Yes, I know him. Spotted a big 7x7 400 class bull on his place last time I drew the tag. Went to his house and offered him a nice reward to let me shoot him. He declined. He has some outstanding country to hunt. I would not trespass on his land even for the bull of a lifetime. Got a nice 6x6 on public further up the creek. I will send you a message and we can get something worked out. Now to hunt Mr. Leroux's place and your big whitetails I will trade.....

Hunted some big whitetails last year up your way on Dr. Gilmans place out of Worland. Very nice guy and he has some nice deer.

haha yeah im definetley very fortunate to have a lot of acess up that way. I have a couple little whitetail honey holes around so maybe we can both benefit a little! talk to you soon.

LTLR,

If i'm not mistaken, I can still buy a preferance point for the 12-13 season. Then I can hopefully get the 100% chance (unless it changes) for a tag next year. Would gladly pay the rent for the horse for such an opportunity. Elk is one of my dream hunts. Tags are pretty darn expensive though, and I think I need an adult tag for 12-13, I turn 18 11/11/11. Will see what I can do.

Coming to WY for the first time in October (Columbus Day weekend) this year to hunt antelope and mule deer out of Newcastle, WY. Let me know if you happen to be hunting or passing through the area!

Oliver

Prefference point July through September then you are good for the next year. For this year you make the youth tag but miss it by six weeks for next year. I hunt mostly in western Wyoming and don't get over to Newcastle very often. If you have a couple extra days and I am not out hunting somewhere come by and see me. I fill in some doe antelope hunts that time of year and the tags are over the counter and cheap if you don't shoot enough of them. Also one unit I hunt allows two bucks again with tags over the counter. So you could tag another.

LTLR
Sent a PM, I'm in if you have room for the 2012 season. How many day hunt would this pack in trip be? Would we need extra horses to pack elk or walk out? I better get in shape now, sounds great. Dan

LTLR,

This sounds fantastic. I just moved to Greybull, WY last week and am excited to be here. I am a young man and this sounds like a great opportunity for someone who loves backcountry hunting like I do. I don't know how much interest you have gotten, but I am interested. I will keep in touch.

Nathan

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.