Wyoming Public Land DIY Great Hunt

MNbogboy

My son and I just returned from another wonderful hunt in central WY....

Jim glassed this nice 3x3 at about 3/4 of a mile and stalked him for a one shot 166 yard kill at 7800 feet.....A mountain road let us get a few hundred yards of him so the drag was short....We took pictures and cut this guy up the next morning and got him in the freezer...

The next and final afternoon and evening produced this nice 21 inch wide 2x2 for me...Rangefinder said 388 yards..I dialed in 4.5 minutes....I laid prone and was just about to squeeze off when the buck laid down.....Only his antler tips now showed....I snuck backwards into the rocks and climbed up...Now at 310 yards I readjusted to 2.9 minutes, again lay prone and with only his head and neck exposed the white spot looked pretty big at 20 power...About that time an angus cow strolled down the ridge between the deer and I.....an anxious wait for the cow to clear...The shot the thump echo and Jim's cheers confirmed my squeeze.....The daylight was failing fast we opted to drag him down the mountain instead of boning in the dark....GPS said .86 miles to where we could get the truck to...Off we went in the dark....6:19 was the shot time....10:02 he was on the tailgate...The tenderloins of Jim's buck made a pretty good meal at midnight.....

Jim's buck was aged at 3-1/2 years while mine at 4-1/2...They certainly will be fine eating...We didn't have access to scales but the larger 2 point was certainly close to two hundred pounds if not over.....

Randy

Attachments

• 2011RegionE JimsBuck2.jpg
    2011RegionE JimsBuck2.jpg
    217.7 KB · Views: 127
  • 2011RegionE BigForkie1.jpg
    2011RegionE BigForkie1.jpg
    147.3 KB · Views: 124
Shane, I had two doe lope tags but the two deer actually filled the 3.5 cu ft.
freezer to the top..(that forkie really was big)...We both agreed it was best to get the meat home so we "ate" the antelope tags for lunch and headed on home to MN & WI after spending 8 nights in the camper....As much as I love antelope meat and hunting everything worked out great...We had a good trip back and are looking forward to our upcoming deer seasons here in the north country.....

I was really bummed out last year when I became ill and could not finish my deer hunt up in your country....Of course having a hunting partner like my son really makes a good hunt better....This year we tried a totally new area and it was just as good as B...We did however see quite a few deer in the grasslands including some real nice bucks during our travels.....

Nice writeup and glad you found a couple of bucks. Where abouts you end up this year?
Been hunting since the 15th of August and have yet to see a mulie that big.....Big bodies yes but the racks have been inside the ears and spindley?

We started out on the Beaver Rim over by Sweetwater Station, but the 4-wheeler traffic was fierce....We ended up bouncing around the Sweetwater rocks in 97 just southwest of you....PM me Cliff if you want some specifics
Randy

Where we hunted in MT hybrids are common the locals say and we actually saw a couple of whitetails within 3 miles of where were hunting in WY this year so I am sure it is entirely possible.....Is there a positive way to tell without a biology lab?....

Where we hunted in MT hybrids are common the locals say and we actually saw a couple of whitetails within 3 miles of where were hunting in WY this year so I am sure it is entirely possible.....Is there a positive way to tell without a biology lab?....

While I'm sure there is a biological test that can be done, my statement is just based on looking at the animes. The deer seems to have a muley head/ears and whitetail antlers.

We started out on the Beaver Rim over by Sweetwater Station, but the 4-wheeler traffic was fierce....We ended up bouncing around the Sweetwater rocks in 97 just southwest of you....PM me Cliff if you want some specifics
Randy

No specifics needed.......just wondering where the dart landed on the Wyoming map this year:D
Bow season wasnt bad at all but the deer gun season sure brought out the rifraf on 4wheelers and pickups..............Even saw a couple guys actually walkinglightbulb

No specifics needed.......just wondering where the dart landed on the Wyoming map this year:D
Bow season wasnt bad at all but the deer gun season sure brought out the rifraf on 4wheelers and pickups..............Even saw a couple guys actually walkinglightbulb
walking?? in wyoming?? I dont believe it!

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.