Wyoming Pref Points

I've got a friend of mine that wants to go and has no points yet so I thought I could save a couple $$ while letting him catch up.

Even as partners your points can help a bit, but mostly life happens. Keep your end up as you may need another plan down the road. Just my experience.

Keep getting your points. Let your friend start building his also. You can always apply as a party and average your points.

If you put in as a party hunt if one of you draws both of you get to go so the more points you have the better your odds.

Doesn't work like that. The system recognizes a party as a single individual. Kinda of like a raffle but everyones name is on 1 ticket.

Not sure how points work into the deal though.

Does anyone know if they average the points or the person with the lowest # of points holds the others in the group back.

chucknback is incorrect in how the nonresident draw works if people put in as a party. The PPs for all the individuals who apply in the party are added together and divided by the number in the party to get the average and it is NOT rounded up or down. I partied for antelope with a guy this year from Idaho that had 4 PPs and I had one. Our average of 2.5 got us one of several licenses still available when it got to us. People with 2 PPs did not draw our unit. The party does go in with one chance to draw or not draw their first choice just like it is one person, but that averaging of PPs is a biggy!!! If a person starts buying PPs I don't think they should ever skip a year, but you can skip one year without buying a point or applying for a license and not lose your PPs. Two consecutive years of not doing one or the other for a particular animal and your PPs go to zero. Trust me on this one as I've been hunting out there most every year for 20 years now.

Never, ever, skip a year.
2.5 is a lot different than 2.0 and 2.75 is pretty much a slam dunk if you are in that 2-3 point range because most will average at 2.0 or 2.5.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.