Wyoming Nonresident Booklet

Re: JIMM

Did the taxidermist give you a deal to mount that? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I wouldn't take it to hard your not the first and I'm sure you won't be the last to shoot the "Herd Buck".

The herd Buck

The winds were pretty bad and gusting up to about 30 mph so we had been having a hard time that day. I was the last to have a turn and it was getting late in the afternoon and a big thundercloud had rolled in. We knew that a herd had gone over a hill and down into a draw so we found a small two track and drove over to another hill and spotted them. The herd we were after was about 550 yards away down in the draw grazing amidst some tall sagebrush. Peculiarly enough, a second herd was bedded down directly across the draw from us about 400 yards away.

I got the 240 set up on the herd down in the draw and selected a decent looking doe and Jimm ranged her out. The wind was pretty fierce, but it would gust hard and then die back so it seemed that if I could get the doe to turn broadside and step out from behind the sage at just the right time I could make the shot. But no the doe did not feel like standing still any time she was clear. After maybe 20 minutes or so it began to spit a little rain and blow pretty hard and still the doe would not move so I had a clear shot into the chest. Finally after about 30 minutes of this, the whole herd dropped out of sight in some kind of a dip.

Well, it was late in the day, spitting rain and I needed to make a shot on a doe so we could get finished up and out there before the sky let loose on us. So I just swung around on the herd at 400 yards and they were all bedded down in a cluster so I could not shoot at any one without risking the bullet going into a second one. We waited and shortly the fawn got up and moved about 10 yards away and turned broadside. The wind was as slack as it ever got that day so I just decided to call it a day and put the crosshairs on the poor little baby and pulled the trigger.

When we went over to get it we noticed that it was a little male, hence the joke that I shot the "herd buck".

The range was only 390. Jimm is just making fun of my Kmart special binoculars.

A couple of years ago i was bowhunting with a buddy of mine and as i got back to the truck i called him on the radio, he says he popped a doe. I told him i would hustle down to him to help drag her out and he just laughs and said to wait there and he would meet me in a minute. 5 minutes later he shows up not the least bit out of breath with what looks like a small dog over his shoulder!!! I laughed so hard I swallowed the chew i just put in but I swear that was the best tasting vension I have ever found!!

Now I pass up doe's because they are too big, those small chicks just taste better!!!

steve

[ QUOTE ]
The range was only 390. Jimm is just making fun of my Kmart special binoculars.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well , I could make fun of your KMart specials as they are the older versions of my K Mart specials /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Leica 10 to 15 x 50 Duovids , that is the answer .

Jim B.

[ QUOTE ]
Leica 10 to 15 x 50 Duovids , that is the answer .

[/ QUOTE ]

I can get those too /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.