wyoming gun purchase and have to wait!

wyoming4x4

When buying a bolt action rifle from local sporting goods? i have to wait every time. Basically i have to wait a week and some don't. Not sure why this happens. my record is clean and wondering is something else is going on other than just slow background check? thanks.

I've never had to wait longer than a phone call by the store personel. Stand there and listen to the call, walk out with a firearm. If you have a CCP, there is not even a call. Ask the store owner's opinion. That don't seam right for WY.

I've never had to wait longer than a phone call by the store personel. Stand there and listen to the call, walk out with a firearm. If you have a CCP, there is not even a call. Ask the store owner's opinion. That don't seam right for WY.

I would second everything above said. Never had to wait in Montana - even before I had a concealed carry permit. Something isn't right.

I don't live in Wy. but that seems a little odd you would have to wait. That said I don't understand why it would not be called in even with a CCP I think all the states are required to call into the feds, or am I missing something here? I have a lifetime CCP and have had for the last 35years or so but, they still make the call, no waiting but it is still called in.

A NICS check is a phone call or e-mail with almost immediate response and should be everywhere (excepting) probably the Communist states out east......:D

I'd get a CPL and call it good. Great second picture ID plus it streamlines every purchase. Here in Michigan, a CPL gun purchase puts you at the 'head of the line'. Less paperwork for the FFL seller.

Thats fishy.

I'd be taking my business and dollars elsewhere.

That said I don't understand why it would not be called in even with a CCP I think all the states are required to call into the feds, or am I missing something here?

It depends upon the state. More reasonable states exempt those with CCP's from the background check requirement so all you have to do is show it and they hand you your gun. Some states still require the background check call to NICS.

For the OP, I doubt Wyoming has anything to do with the delay. It's more likely the FBI NICS center giving the dealer a delayed response. When you make the NICS call they can tell you "proceed", "delayed" or "denied". If the response is delayed then you have to wait three business days until you can hand over the gun. What flags someone for a "delayed" response is a bit of a mystery known only to those running the system. It could be anything, someone with a similar name might be wanted on a warrant and it flags you because of it. When I was in the Marine Corps I had an FFL and I'd get guns for other guys in my squadron. I often got delayed responses with the guys that had top secret clearances, something about that seemed to flag them in NICS and they'd get the delayed response.

We let the camel's nose under the tent when we let the brady bill become law enabling these background checks. Now you're at the mercy of "the system" which has no accountability. They can arbitrarily deny or delay your firearm purchase and you really have no recourse, they don't have to tell you why or justify their actions. Most seem to accept these things as the norm now. It's shifting the bar incrementally like this that will have us one day waking up finding that our firearms rights have been legislated out of existence.

Prior to getting my cpl here in MI, I had endless issues with NICS. Initially all my transactions got "canceled" after the 3 day delay. They made me file an appeal. They ignored the law and provided no reason why my transfers were getting delayed and then canceled. I finally got an official response (registered letter) saying there was no problem with my background check and providing me a UPIN number. Went back to the FFL. No change. Delayed, canceled. After 3 months of going round in circles, my FFL got mad and called and spoke to a supervisor. The lady said that there was no reason why my transfers were not approved and she approved the 2 transfers I had been waiting on immediately.

That suggests that (legal or not) the FBI agents sometimes use some personal discretion (or bias) in deciding whether to approve/deny or cancel.

After I got my CPL, that was the end of the problem. I also had no issues with my background check for my CPL, no any that our company legal department ran on me, nor when I applied for my green card. So go figure.... But I assure you, if I go to any of the big stores (Cabelas or the like) who have a POLICY of running a background check regardless of whether you have a CPL, then even today I have the same circus.

It is possible that this systematic issue is more prevalent with FFL's who call in the transfer, as opposed to those who use the online system. I just have not met an FFL yet who is using the online system.

Never had issue one but then I'm State and Fedreally Certified Examiner so I have to submit (not voluntarily) to a pretty intense FBI background check, annually.

...and I agree with Westcliffe, it's about discretion/bias on the part of the agent. If it was an electronic check in the purest form, it would be a non-issue. It's not. Once the human factor is infused in the process, things get dicey.

I didn't know you could get a permit for anything in New York????lol

I've had a close friend get delayed, we'd both bought several firearms from that particular store before & since then. They couldn't explain it & neither can I...

May that particular "agent" was having a bad day? In the OP's circumstance, maybe your name resembles someone they don't like :D

Get a CCP, no more phone calls, no more hastle.

t

Well guys thanks for responding. I picked up my rifle today and no problems. it was a mossberg MVP bolt action, 5.56 nato. I have a excellent clean record and shouldn't have any problems but i get delayed everytime. Makes me wonder whats going on in places i can't see?

Well guys thanks for responding. I picked up my rifle today and no problems. it was a mossberg MVP bolt action, 5.56 nato. I have a excellent clean record and shouldn't have any problems but i get delayed everytime. Makes me wonder whats going on in places i can't see?

Let me know how that mvp shoots. I've been looking at getting one. Thanks gun)

mossberg mvp 5.56 heavy barrel fluted. i have many bolt guns and all are larger and this little guy will be fun to shoot. great little varmit gun. ammo easy to find at the moment. will be picking up a scope soon then get to test out! thanks for responding on issue. The rifle stock is what really pushed me into purchasing this rifle. its a little short but that can be fixed easily for me. I'm a bigger guy and believe the woman should shoot it better than me due to fit!

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.