Wyatts Mag box

Brute

Need e-mail address or contact info for Wyatts Outdoors.I have a Rem 700 in 221FB that refuses to feed from the mag.Hope they have the solution.Any other suggestions?

What trouble is it giving you? I'm not to sure that the Wyatt's box is gonna offer and improvement with such a small round , tell us what its doing and maybe we can offer some advise.

When loading more than a single round in the mag, the top round pops out of the mag before the bolt picks it up.When loading a single round from the mag the round jams against or hangs on feed ramp and will not chamber without manual manipulation of the round.This is quite disturbing when you are presented with mulitiple targets on a calling stand.Thought I'd ask Wyatts if one of their center feed mags would help correct this problem.Gun has been to two reputable smiths but is still a problem child.Any suggestions?
Brute

Is this a factory rifle?

This can be caused by anything from the feed lips not extending out far enough to retain the round in the magazine, to the incorrect magazine follower being used to to much spring tension under the follower.

Does the rifle do this if there is more then one round in the magazine or just when they are single loaded into the box.

On the feed ramp, what bullets are you using? Sometimes large HPs or soft nose bullets will hang up on the feed rail.

It is not a difficult thing to carefully low the feed ram to allow the bullet meplate to engage the ramp properly but you need to take as little off as possible to get the job done properly.

I am not sure if Wyatts makes a 223 class box and if they do I suspect it would be far to short for the 221 FB unless they offer a cernter feed design for the 223 class rounds.

I think some playing with your receiver as is could help you alot with the problem.

Again, is this a factory Rem 700 chambered in 221 FB or is it a custom rifle?

Kirby Allen(50)

Fifty,
The 221 is a factory 700 classic restocked with a Rem factory camo tupperware stock in ADL configuration.Have tried many different bullets-35 Bergers -40&50 NBT-40,50,&55 V-Max.All give same problems.When mag is loaded with 2 or more rounds the cartridges pop out of the mag prematurely as the bolt starts forward.The follower spring seems a logical culprit,but is original component on this rifle.I'm afraid this round may simply be incompatible with being fed from magazine.Hope not because little rifle shoots lights out with almost every load I've tried and is great in it's role as my small varmint,crow,truck gun.Thanks for the suggestions and any advise.
Brute

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.