WY Mulies....

WMWW

Figured Id start asking around now if anyone has ever used a semi guided outfit out in WY to hunt Mulies. Our hunting group went out this yr hunting Antelope and had a blast. We got together last weekend and were talking about trying to hunt some mulies. In our group we have a couple of older guys that dont think they can hike anymore than they did while we were Antelope hunting. I wasnt sure if they do semi guided hunts out there or if its mosly guided outfitters. We were also thinking about paying trespass fees but dont know really where to look or how to find people that allow You to pay trespass fees.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
WMWW

Hey there fello michigander. I am too wanting to go to wy for mulies. It doesnt sound like it would be all that bad, probably no different than your antelope hunt. I have a friend in his mid fifties that smokes like a chain and dont look to be very fit and has gone out there for years with no problems. My brother-n-laws Father and his uncle (both in their late sixties early seventies) go every year near casper and they dont seem to hae any problems either. I cant answer your question tho on semi-guided hunts, the ones I know hunt DIY.

I agree with meatyrem. You really don't need to pay any trespass fees or an outfitter. Wyoming has a ton of public land. Depending on which part of the state, it's not going to be much different than your antelope hunt if you did it yourself.

The areas you are talking about are what I would call lowland and not that hard to hunt for an older person. However, from what I've been seeing out there, every year it seems like more and more land is getting locked up by outfitters, especially for deer hunting. I think you will find that semi-guided or drop camps are found more in the higher elevation mountain areas than down in the 4,000'-5,000' elevations around Casper. For guys like you mentioned, I would be trying to get a list of ranchers that have access fees for deer hunting, just like a lot of them do for antelope. That's not saying that you can't shoot a deer on public land because you can. You are, however, going to see a lot more people unless you skip opening week like we do every year.

Try Sleeping Indian Outfitters in Bonderaunt Wy. I used them for my Bear Hunt and shot a monster... They are very successful on Mule Deer too. They have a guide permit that is very rare, because they have been guiding up there for decades. PM me if you would like there number... They have great chances for HUGE mule deer...

107_05842.jpg
I hunt with Horse Creek Outfitters out of Cheyenne...he has some excellent ground to hunt in several different areas...very affordable for todays standards and some really good bucks. Call Bob Freiss(307)634-3881 and he will get you set up. I will try to figure out how to post some pics of our hunt last year if i can figure out.

Last edited:
Forgive me i am just figuring out how to put pics up...that is my friend Brent Peck with a big 3pt...I will work on getting up my pic and other friend Stacy Smiths.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.