Wy Antelope Nonresident Preference Points

Buffalobob

Just a reminder to everyone that if you apply for a nonresident antelope buck tag and purchase the preference point that your odds of being successful FOR NEXT YEAR are greatly increased. Sometimes they jump from only 10% success rate to 100% success rate.

You will probably not need a preference point to just draw doe tags.

Here is a link that shows you the difference that the extra $30.00 makes

Wyoming Game and Fish 2008 Drawing Odds - 5227

Just click on Nonresident under antelope and a pdf file will open.

Or go straight to the pdf file itself

http://gf.state.wy.us/downloads/pdf/Drawingodds08/NRAntelopeRegularPP.pdf

Also a reminder that there may not be a left over draw this year.

Last edited:
Buffalobob,

You're saying that you can buy a preference point for the same year you are applying?

Can you do this with deer too?

Paul

Yes you can buy a preference point the same year you apply. Use the left side of the form instead of the right side.

It will only be awarded if you do not get your first choice and will only be available for next year. If you draw your first choice you do nto get a preference point for next year and your $30 is refunded.

I do not deer hunt in Wyoming so I do not know about deer. I think I know where a few small deer are though and one big one unless he has been shot. I was lost at the time I saw them and was fixing to drive my truck off a cliff. :D

Last edited:
I'm reviewing the PDF, trying to understand the data. what's the meaning of the column headings, QUOTA, ISSUED, and FIRST CHOICE APPLICANTS?

Regarding preference points:
My application says that preference points can only be awarded in 1 of 2 ways:
1. apply for full price antelope licence with preference point option#1 and be unsuccessful in drawing your 1st choice area/type
OR
2. purchase a preference point only from july 1 - sept 30 09.

Page 6 of the non resident booklet says: preference points earned and/or purchased during 2009 are NOT available for use in the 2009 limited quota drawings. They will be available for use in the 2010 limited quota drawings.

"Quota" is how many nonresident licenses are available

"Issued" is how many were given for a preference point category

"First Choice Applicants" means how many people listed that units as their first choice.

The reason there are < numbers is because a party application is awarded the average of the members preference points so with two people an one has a preference point and one does not they would be awarded 0.5 points and fall in t he <1 category.

Page 6 of the non resident booklet says: preference points earned and/or purchased during 2009 are NOT available for use in the 2009 limited quota drawings. They will be available for use in the 2010 limited quota drawings.

In going back through the drawings I have been involved in it appears that you may be correct. The preference point cannot be used for the year the application is submitted. My impression was that last year my daughter drew out because she had the preference point awarded in the year she applied. Going into Wyoming F&G Website I see she has a preference point for this year so apparently it was not used to help her draw out last year. That is peculiar because her license reads "2008 Wyoming NR Antelope W/ Pref Pt". I assumed because it was printed on the license that the point was used to draw the license. But that's not the case.

My son and I got our first draw and got a refund of the preference point money so it did not become an issue.

I guess I better go back and change the post being as it does not work the way I thought it did. Good thing you posted your questions up or else there would have been some misinformed people.

The only good thing is that Cynthia has a preference point for this year so we have 100% chance of drawing our unit. If you had not said something I would never have checked on her.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.