• You must be a Supporting Member to create a listing in the Long Range Hunting Marketplace. To read all the rules, click here.

We offer multiple options to become a Supporting Member here.

SOLD/EXPIRED WTS: S&W Model 629 DX .44Mag.

Re: Re: WTS: S&W Model 629 DX .44Mag.

[ QUOTE ]
"
Oh by the way gunbroker has one for going for 880 or so.
jm2c"
call me crazy, but that sounds cheaper to me!

[/ QUOTE ]

I checked on Gunbroker the only 629 Classic DX I could find was this one...

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=43899395

It has a 8 3/8 barrel. Which is not correct for the DX so I made a call to S&W and they informed me that they never made a 629 Classic DX in 8 3/8 barrel.
You have to be sure of what you're buying on the internet.

Do you even know all the details that go into the making of a DX!

If you did you would not think that 1000 bucks is a high price for a new in box revolver!

Chuck

I wish I would have popped the extra $100 and got the DX when I bought my 629 Classic. At the time 1993 the only difference I knew of was the DX came with a test target, the extra grip and the different sight blades. Back then the DX was only $500. I had no idea they were selected from proven shooters. I paid $400 for my 5" Classic. I always figured I would just buy the extras later and have a poor mans DX. I got the extra sights but never did get the wood grip.

I'm positive the DX came in 6", 8" and the 8" was an unfluted cylinder. They were also round but which at the time I didn't care for. I sure like yours, but in my head right now I just can't justify paying more than double what mine cost new. Eventually you will get your price.

From what I gathered from the S&W rep what I've read over the years has been pretty much right on the money. I believe they quit producing the DX in 2002.

The rep. told me this morning that the only way to get a special gun now would be to buy one and send it to the custom shop. But he said it's hard to find a gun that will put em all in one hole at 25 yards. That was the special thing about the DX they hand picked the best shooters out of the mill and sent them into the custom shop for a slicker up job on the trigger and action!

It'll give you confidence knowing that your gun is capable of putting them in there in a tight group. I've taken many a groundhog with my other DX at 100 yards or better. That's with open sights I have this thing about a handgun being a handgun. In other words I've done the contender and encore route and have come to like using a handgun that can be carried on the hip comfortably. If I want a scoped mini-rifle I'd just as soon carry a rifle.

I'm not casting aspersions on anyone else's choice of weapons just stating my own preference.

I'm not worried about how soon I sell the DX or even if I do. I know it's not the gun for everyone most people aren't willing to pay the extra cash for the perceived quality. In fact most people don't expect to get the kind of accuracy the DX gives out of themselves.

Chuckster