• You must be a Supporting Member to create a listing in the Long Range Hunting Marketplace. To read all the rules, click here.

We offer multiple options to become a Supporting Member here.

SOLD/EXPIRED WTB: SLSLA (savage large shank long action). Be nice if came w/long&fat 7RUM tube.

Max Heat

I need to get one of those actions, which I will consider any reasonable deal on. But since my purpose for getting one is fitment of a large shank 7RUM barrel, someone having one of those actions, and willing to sell it WITH a 30-31" heavy contour 7RUM barrel either already attached or simply along with it, would probably work out the best for me. I WILL consider a barrel in which the throat is shot out of, IF it meets the length criteria. If you have the hardware I'm seeking, AND the barrel is still in good (or excellent) shooting condition, I'll go up to 200 higher. But if nobody has the barrel that I'm looking for, I would still be in need of said action.

Re: WTB: SLSLA (savage large shank long action). Be nice if came w/long&fat 7RUM tub

What model did thes come on? I have never seen one. I had always been under the impression that the large shank was initially made for the WSM's and where only used on short actions. I have seen 223's up to 300wsm's in the SA.

Re: WTB: SLSLA (savage large shank long action). Be nice if came w/long&fat 7RUM tub

The RUMs use it (except for a very small # of early ones). If it makes you feel any better, I haven't seen one myself yet either. But I want to step up from 7 mag, to 7 ultra mag, and they went to the big shank very early in the game, so I am following suite. Although a RUM barrel COULD be made using standard shank barrel stock, the larger shank stock uses a better/stronger steel formulation. I'm now having serious doubts as to whether or not this thread was just a waste of time. After doing a bit of looking around on the web (particularly the BBN), it appears that most are like you and me - have yet to even SEE one. Let alone one with a 30" 7mm barrel! MY read on the current market is that demand for what I asking for (even just the action) FAR outstrips the available supply. The only way for supply to increase is for the makers to make/sell more. Problem is that, short of going custom & thereby paying some major bux, they only seem to sell the new ones with 26" barrels. Since I plan on burning up barrel throats in pretty short order, I need to start long, giving me enough room to hack some off, every time the throat needs refreshed.

the larger shank stock uses a better/stronger steel formulation.

Could you provide the source of this information?

Could you provide the source of this information?

I am afraid somebody sold our friend Max some wolf cookies on the whole premis of the illusive SLSLA action and its properties...even its very existance. Sorry brother.

it was made. I called savage two days before this post actually . I have been watching this one. the ONLY difference according to savage is the thread I.d. which any gunsmith can open up. the rest of the dimensions are identical.

I agree with stangfish.

The whole debate over the benefits of large over small shank has been beat to death.

Bottom line: The benefits are only on paper or in the minds of the owners.

RUM's work just fine in small shank. Many have built them with no reported problems. I've built several.

it was made. I called savage two days before this post actually . I have been watching this one. the ONLY difference according to savage is the thread I.d. which any gunsmith can open up. the rest of the dimensions are identical.

I stand corrected and the good folks at Savage Shooters(Geargrinder) educated me to this fact also. The Lapua mags where all made with the jumbo action.

The question is... Are the external dimensions larger than the standard 3.500"? I believe not, therefore a standard action can be rethreaded to the large shank and would probably not cost that much to do. So thenew question is...Are the action lugs any different? Can we find that out? Stay tuned!

While your at it you can get things timed and trued as well.

I'm now having serious doubts as to whether or not this thread was just a waste of time.

Please don't take no offense but seems most of your posts you're chasing things with very little success. What gives? :rolleyes:

Hang in there! :):Dgun)

Please don't take no offense but seems most of your posts you're chasing things with very little success. What gives? :rolleyes:

Hang in there! :):Dgun)

Sorry it took so long for me to get back to this thread. I DO appreciate the responses. Anyways, I did just send someone a message in reference to a 7mm that he has for sale. I don't know yet what chamber it has though. And now I'm starting to think that is NOT the best way to go anyways, especially if a long barrel is what I really want. As far as the standard shank RUM bbl goes, I'm not doing it. So that leaves (in addition to buying a barrel) having MY action re-threaded for big shank, being that I don't think I'm likely to find an LSSLA for sale. To be trued, I would need to get the bbl first then, right? The other big question then is WHERE to have the work done. I don't really know any gunsmiths personally that I could have do it. P.S. - as far as: Quote: Originally Posted by Max Heat View Post the larger shank stock uses a better/stronger steel formulation. Could you provide the source of this information? - I believe I did state that incorrectly. The stronger grade of steel is what the large shank ACTIONS are made out of, not the barrels, to compensate for the thinner metal on the threadwalls. OK, that now puts me back (once again) to NOT thinning my action's threadwalls. But who still has or makes long RUM barrels in small shank?

What about this??? "Go with the Savage Target action. It is the large shank barrel receiver and the action is considerably stronger than the 110 action. I believe the Target action recoil lug is trued at the factory." That does seem to back up what I corrected myself on earlier, in reference to large shank actions being made out of stronger steel. Looks like I'm going to switch up once again, and concentrate on getting one of those babies. That way I can use barrels of the large shank variety, AND the the action will also be up to snuff, to boot! But I'm not really sure exactly where I need to go to to find a savage target action, or even a regular large shank long action, by itself. But at this point, I feel safe making the call that this is going to be my FINAL decision. I AM now ready to plunk down the bux.

****, after "finally" saying, "final" decision yesterday, it looks like I might have to back off of that statement now, after seeing what a savage target action is likely to cost me (600, with shipping). And I'd STILL need to put a few more hundred into it for a barrel (I'm ALREADY in 200 on the stock). It's times like this that I wish I was more financially endowed. It's looking like my only route to "salvation" is going to be in finding either a USED target action, or a non-target action that goes both long AND fat (LS-SLA). Since I'm starting to get more desperate now, I'm willing to consider other options, if nobody is willing to part with said action, that they have on hand, for straight up cash. Is there anybody out there who would TRADE their LS-SLA, for my SS-SLA (standard shank, savage long action), PLUS SOME CASH (or even the whole rifle, which is 7mm rem mag, with 300-350 rounds through it)?

I can see you spending a lot less on you desired action. A stevens 200 long action with magnum bolt head. $275. SSS machining your threads, and other stuff 200. that is 475. I see the whole barreled action thing going for 775 if you use a shilen or something similar. 700 or a touch less for a ER Shaw.

I'd still like to know the source of your information. The target actions have a smaller loading/ejection port and many are single shot so they are stronger in a way, but it's behind the locking lugs which doesn't seem to be your concern.

Recent Posts