• You must be a Supporting Member to create a listing in the Long Range Hunting Marketplace. To read all the rules, click here.

We offer multiple options to become a Supporting Member here.

SOLD/EXPIRED WTB: Savage .260 Rem action

megastink

I am looking for a Savage Action in .260 Rem. I'll take either Model 10 or 11 with accutrigger. The factory wont sell me just the action. It can be used, but I'd prefer a newer one (good luck, right?).

I will also consider .243 win and 7mm-08, but these aren't what I am hoping for. Let me know what you have and we'll talk some business. Thanks.

-Megagun)

mega,
I think all the Savage short actions will be the same except bolt face. All the cartridges you listed have the same bolt face so any of them should work.
If you can't get one from a member try Northland Shooter Supply. Jim has new Savage actions in stock.
Mark

That would be the .473 bolt face? Does that mean that I can take a standard .243 action and 'throw' a .260 barrel on it? I'm not a pro, just a student looking for some education. Thanks!

That would be the .473 bolt face? Does that mean that I can take a standard .243 action and 'throw' a .260 barrel on it? I'm not a pro, just a student looking for some education. Thanks!

That's exactly what that means:), Just loosen the barrel nut, screw out the old barrel, screw in the new, check with go/no go guages, and tighten up the nut.

Chris

+1 on what Chris said.

Savage barrel changes take a Savage barrel nut wrench, a block of wood, and 5 min (7 or 8 with headspacing). ;)

Check out Savage Shooters Forum - Index

These guys are like a vault of Savage knowledge. They have helped me immensely with a 338 Edge build.

Enjoy!

DC

Look at a Stevens 200 in a short action, it is the same action, without the accu-trigger.
When you find one at a reasonable price, you're pleased with, get it and replace the barrel with a 260 barrel. Or shoot it the way it came for awhile.
Also, like the above post said, the Savage Shooters forum will have all the info you need on barrel swaps, triggers, stocks, scope bases, whatever you desire to persue with your build.
Hope this helps a bit, Andy

Ok, this brings me to a new dilema... I have a 10FP in .308 with no bells and whistles; just the stock .308. I bought it thinking that I would be shooting deer out to 600 yards.

However, now living in eastern PA, I rarely get a shot at over 200. Plus, it weights a metric friggin' ton hauling it around the woods on my back. On top of all of this, *shameful sigh*, I'm a little gun shy. That .308 has some snot behind it, and I think, no, I know, I would shoot better knowing that the rifle wasnt going to rock my shoulder (Yea, I flinch ometimes. Am I the only one?).

Do you all think that I could simply replace my 24" Heavy .308 barrel with a Shilen .260 Rem barrel (which is why I wanted the action, anyway)? I think that I can sell it for a little savings, too.

What do you all think? Please, let me know! Thanks!

-Mega

No problem switching out the 308 with the 260. Everything stays the same except the barrel. Also, since the 260 is simply a necked down 308 case your feeding, extraction etc. will remain the same. The 260 recoil is some better than the 308 but don't expect 243 recoil levels with the 260.
An 8.5lb rifle in 260 shooting a 140g bullet at 2750 hits you with 11.2ftlbs of energy. The equivalent 308 shooting a 160g bullet at 2600 is about 13.5ftlbs. A little better but not much.

Is there a way to increase the power of a .243 without raising the recoil to .260 Rem power? Or should I turn my .308 into a .243 and shoot a 100 grain bulles? Keep in mind, I want to use this for deer out to about 300 to 400 if I ever get the chance, but I want the lowest recoil for power (at that distance) that I an get. Thoughts?

Also, what is the ftlbs of a .243 standard velocity?

Thanks!

Mega

The .243 will certainly do what you want without increasing recoil levels to the .308 or the .260 for that matter. I used the Sierra 85g HPBT Game King with H4831 powder in a Ruger .243 for years to take Coues deer in Arizona. Never had one get further than 30 yards. However, I think the 100g bullet would be better for the heavier bodied white tails where you hunt. If you go with a .243 I would find a good factory load that your rifle will shoot well and go from there. Between the 260 and the 243 I would personally go with the 260.

Be sure and check out http://www.savageshooters.com. Since you shoot a Savage you should join up. Cost is only $12 a year and the information and Savage stuff for sale by members is outstanding.

I build Savages for myself and others but I don't have any Savage 243 barrels on hand right now but I do have one you might be interested in. Sent you a PM.

Last edited: