Wtb-custom knife

cinch

I have a very good friend that I would like to have a custom hunting knife built for. Can someone suggest a knifemaker that would make a good quality knife? I would like to have something made with as good or better quality than a Randall or Ruana. Thanks in advance, cinch

Bill Harsey in Oregon

The William W. Harsey Jr. Custom Knife Shop

He hunts so he knows what a hunting knife needs to do. His website is not so great but he is a moderator on a special forces forum and I have seen quite a few of his hunting knives.

I was going to have him build me a new "Gerber style knife" with modern steel and handles but I have let the project stall out. I might still do it.

He designed the Yarborough knife that is currently issued to Special Forces upon graduation. It is a good all purpose combat knife but for specialty work the Gerber has its advantages.

ff.jpg

The Ruana you mentioned makes a good solid knife the equal of about anything out there. I don't like the bone/aluminum handles, but the blades are top notch.

There are many great knife makers these days. It all depends on what you want in a knife and what are you going to use it for.

Myself, I stay away from the big names mostly because there is a point where your paying for the hot knife or trademark name.

A good knife should cost no more than $250. That is excepting bowies and large pieces like swords that take a lot of time and material and are difficult to produce.

Ruanas are in this ballpark and other makers are out there as well.

A fella who makes a good solid knife at an resonaable price is Mike Mann of Idaho Knife Works. Good knives that are well known for under $250. He is one of quite an number of great makers out there.

You don't need to spend an fortune to get a good blade.

I just took delivery on a fine piece of knife work. Mark Roe, who lives about 35 miles from Shawn Carlock, sent me this knife

He makes many other models but the link above is to his re-designed web site. I don't know enough about them to speak "custom knife" but I do know enough to say he does very fine work.

The knife I he gave me is being featured next month in Tactical Knives magazine.

Besides, wouldn't you just have to work with a guy with this kind of BIO?

• Making knives since 2003 - Mentors: Steve Mullin and Scott Sawby
  • Hoosier by birth, living in the north Idaho woods by choice
  • 1 wife, 2 kids, 2 cats, and 3 rats
  • Passionate about knives, firearms, and hunting
  • Tattoos (5) - Piercings (0)
  • BA Political Science - Indiana University
  • Fell out of several aircraft for Uncle Sam
  • Fled Chicago suburbs for the wilderness in 2001
  • Kilts: yes, Speedos: no
  • Devilishly handsome

image001.gif

Wow, all these knives look very nice. I may have to order a few of these for myself. Thanks again for leading me in the right direction. cinch

I order a custom from Dave McCroskey in Oklahoma about a month ago. The knive is razor sharp and very well made. It was his Elk serie made to order per your hand size, was lucky and got it in 2 weeks. He gives great discounts to N.R.A. members. www.mccroskeyknives.com
I think you have to hit the more button to see the knives.

My father recently turned 70 and we wanted to get a custom knife made for him but then I stumbled on this website Barrytown Knifemaking - Home

In the end, my brother, father and I all made our own knives in the day. Awesome experience. My Dad was absolutley stoked with the present.

I realise it is on the other side of the world, but perhaps there is something similar over there.

Stu.

What kind of price range are you thinking of ? If money is of little concern I'd buy a Bill Burke. His knives are functional works of art and hold an edge like no other. James Rodebaugh also makes a very nice knife at half the price of a Burke.

I just had this built by a local man here in MO. He builds them in an old garage in his back yard. This was from an Elk shed I found. He stabilizes the handle (resin fills) for strength and hand forges the blade from many layers of twisted and folded over band saw blades. The blade looks kinda like a laminaed wood stock on a rifle showing layers. I think it is beautiful. I haven't used it enought to say how it holds an edge. But he says very well and I have seen him smack two blades together edge to edgr to prove it.

Jeff
Ran-ElkGr_02.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.