WTB a Fireformed .338 Allen Express dummy...

Discussion in 'Reloading Equipment and Components' started by mindcrime, Jan 16, 2009.

1. mindcrime

mindcrime Well-Known Member

I would like to purchase a single loose .338 cal 300 gr. Sierra Matchking, and a fireformed .338 Allen Express dummy cartridge with another 300 gr. MK seated to 3.800" OAL (my magazine well is 3.850" long). I am still considering (preferring) the Allen Express to a Factory .338 Lapua, and I was going to see how it fed in my CZ550 Safari Magnum.

I "should" be able to get a rough idea since the .416 Rigby is longer and the claw extractor will just pick up the 338 AE and hold it in place. My email is mindcrime@charter.net and my zip code is 38506. If you can do so easily, I can PayPal you the money for the bullet and the dummy round. Just let me know "how much." A small padded envelope should be satisfactory for shipping. JFYI, I already have a few standard .338 Lapua cases for comparison.

I contacted Kirby already, but he seems to be quite the busy man, and has forgotten my request (it's OK Kirb, we're not all perfect). =^)

2. Lightvarmint

Lightvarmint Guest

Hello,

Send me your address and I will send you some of my old 338 Lapua Improved brass.

LV

3. mindcrime

Could you possibly seat a 300 gr. Matchking to an OAL of 3.800"? That is the main thing, I want to make sure that it feeds smoothly. Also is your Lapua Improved an Ackley version with a 40 degree shoulder angle. THANKS.....sorry I'm a few days behind, I had to have some computer work done so I was offline.

Highest Regards and THANKS!

Jeff W.

4. Lightvarmint

Lightvarmint Guest

Yes, I can do that. But, I need the address to send the dummy round.

LV

5. mindcrime

AWESOME!!! .....and THANKS! You failed to mention if it was an Allen Express or an Ackley however. PM sent! I truly appreciate it!!!

6. Lightvarmint

Lightvarmint Guest

Hello,

338 Lapua Improved.

James

7. mindcrime

That will probably work for a "trial", however the Allen Express has a 35 degree shoulder and *might* feed better than the Ackley design with my Mauser styled action. Either way, I am looking in that general direction.

8. Lightvarmint

Lightvarmint Guest

Hello,

My reamer was designed back back when Pacific tool used hand written numbers in the reamer blank drawings. Mine is a 35* shoulder.

LV

9. mindcrime

GREAT! Then it should be almost identical to the Allen Express! =^)

10. Lightvarmint

Lightvarmint Guest

MC,

I believe that my design was earlier than the Allen Express so his would be like mine.

LV

11. jmden

jmden Well-Known Member

Just received mine from Kirby today. Try him again.

12. jmden

jmden Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

338 Lap, 338AX with 300SMK to ~3.9", 300RUM with 240SMK to ~3.9", 265g Wildcat Al RBBT, 225 AB, 240SMK

13. mindcrime

True, LOL.

14. mindcrime

LV is sending me one of his "Dummies" so it should be "close." Kirby just forgot about me with hunting season and all the smithing that he has been covered up with. No biggie.