WTB 6.5 x 284 action for build.

Discussion in 'Gun Parts - Stocks, Barrels, Actions, etc.' started by NHGriff, May 16, 2010.

1. NHGriff

NHGriff Active Member

Time for some spring cleaning folks!

Looking for either a winchester or Rem 700 action for a build. I'll take a complete rifle but all I'm really looking for is the action. It will need to be in a caliber that will support the 6.5 x 284 cartridge length when loaded with 142gr bullet.

Thanks for looking through your basement and garage shelves!

2. GREGORYA

GREGORYA Well-Known Member

Are you looking for a long action or short action, will it be a SS or repeater? I have a Rem SA blued action 308 boltface, if you are interested. Thanks Greg

3. NHGriff

NHGriff Active Member

Greg,
    I'm open to either a repeater or a SS, however since this will be mostly a hunting gun I would think a repeater would be helpful for back up shots. It's not a dangerous game rifle so it's not completely necessary though. I'll let you know on the short action, I don't think I could feed 6.5 x .284 in that action though with 142 grain bullets. Can someone else comment?

I'll also check with my smith to see but I thought that the rem short action is too short to extract that round.

Jim

4. novaman64

novaman64 Well-Known Member

Depends on what your OAL is, but worst case scenario if you were to try and eject a loaded round you'd have to pull the bolt... If you find a good deal on a SA you might wanna look into a 260ai, ballistics are rt there with a 6.5x284....