• You must be a Supporting Member to create a listing in the Long Range Hunting Marketplace. To read all the rules, click here.

We offer multiple options to become a Supporting Member here.

SOLD/EXPIRED WTB-338 Lapua Redding Match Type S 3 Die set**Found**

longrangehunterII

I'm looking to purchase a Redding Match Type S- 3 die set in 338 Lapua with a Competition bullet seater, and the Type S bushing neck and the body die.

Let me know what you have of either.

Thanks

Last edited:
Re: WTB-338 Lapua Redding Match Type S 3 Die set

Not sure if you are looking for a used set or just a set in-stock somewhere (sad times, for sure).

Sinclair shows them as in-stock. I have these sets in 5 different cartridges now (including 338LM) and couldn't be happier.

Good luck.

Re: WTB-338 Lapua Redding Match Type S 3 Die set

Not sure if you are looking for a used set or just a set in-stock somewhere (sad times, for sure).

Sinclair shows them as in-stock. I have these sets in 5 different cartridges now (including 338LM) and couldn't be happier.

Good luck.

Would you believe I just saw that minutes before you sent that, so I ordered them, but thanks very much!

Last edited:
Nice! Funny how happy we are to send money away, just because we can actually get what we want!!

I've had 50gr SBK's on backorder for three months. These mythical relics grow in value in my mind every day. . . When (if) I ever get them I may not be able to bring myself to shoot them!

Enjoy!

So I need a measurement of a loaded round for the actual bushing to order.

What measurement are you getting with Lapua brass on a loaded round?

Thanks

Using Lapua brass, the .366 bushing works for me. It sizes the neck just enough to have some friction on the expander on the upstroke. I also have a .367 (too big) and a .365 (good insurance). My experience with my other sets (crappier brass) is that there is nothing more annoying than a thin neck case that I can't squeeze enough, getting no bullet tension.

Using Lapua brass, the .366 bushing works for me. It sizes the neck just enough to have some friction on the expander on the upstroke. I also have a .367 (too big) and a .365 (good insurance). My experience with my other sets (crappier brass) is that there is nothing more annoying than a thin neck case that I can't squeeze enough, getting no bullet tension.

How much spring back are you accounting for using the .366 bushing? I like at least .002-.003 neck tension so during recoil in the magazine box the bullets will stay put.

Thanks

In the competition neck sizer dies (no expander) I pay very close attention to this. I have gone to the type S as I don't neck-turn and the expander (in theory) should give me more consistent neck tension.

To make a long story short, it made me lazy. I had no idea how much springback was being built in. Your post got me off the couch to go check.

On my 338 LM set, the expander mics at exactly .336. This should give 2 thou of springback when loading. With the .366 bushing I am definitely engaging the expander (the .367 just barely engages it). In my simple mind, as long as the expander is opening up the neck on the way up, I should be good to go (ie if I sized a few thou tighter, the ball is still going to open it up to the same diameter on the upstroke). I could be wrong on this? In any case, I have had no issues with bullet movement in the magazine.

If you were going to go with no expander, .366 should give you an additional half thou or so of additional tension (assuming your brass = my brass).

Hope that helps.

FWIW, I have several virgin pieces on Lapua brass yet to be loaded. For giggles, I hand fit the bushings I have onto them:

.367 - slides right on
.366 - I can hand fit it, but tight (had to remove with a rubber grip and spin)
.365 - aint no way I'm pushing it on without a press

It is hard to measure inside neck diameter, but using calipers I was typically getting .335. That appears to be how Lapua ships them (about a thou under what I expect my post-expanded inner neck diameter to be).

Thanks for giving me an excuse to play with my stuff!

FWIW, I have several virgin pieces on Lapua brass yet to be loaded. For giggles, I hand fit the bushings I have onto them:

.367 - slides right on
.366 - I can hand fit it, but tight (had to remove with a rubber grip and spin)
.365 - aint no way I'm pushing it on without a press

It is hard to measure inside neck diameter, but using calipers I was typically getting .335. That appears to be how Lapua ships them (about a thou under what I expect my post-expanded inner neck diameter to be).

Thanks for giving me an excuse to play with my stuff!

The .365 bushing is on B.O. at Sinclair International, so I'll order a .364 so I can load up some ammo when everything arrives. I don't mind the little extra grip, I wouldn't ever want the recoil to moves the bullets in the case.

Thanks