• You must be a Supporting Member to create a listing in the Long Range Hunting Marketplace. To read all the rules, click here.

We offer multiple options to become a Supporting Member here.

SOLD/EXPIRED WTB: 300rum bullets

alden1210

I'm going on my first elk hunting trip in October and all I have are 210gr Hornady ballistic tips. From what I've read ballistic tips are not what you want to use. You want something that holds together for a clean pass through? So that's what I'm looking for. Let me know what you have or if I'm wrong let me know. Thanks.

I have a few hundred Burger 230 HyBreds same lot I could sell you. I don't elk hunt but would imagine if you drive them at 2950+ they will pass through an elk with out much trouble gun).........................................................:)

never hunted elk either but have talked with some people living in montana and they tell me they use 270 and 308 for elk. believe the ballistic tips will do just fine in the ultra mag

I'm going on my first elk hunting trip in October and all I have are 210gr Hornady ballistic tips. From what I've read ballistic tips are not what you want to use. You want something that holds together for a clean pass through? So that's what I'm looking for. Let me know what you have or if I'm wrong let me know. Thanks.

I am not familiar/aware that Hornady made ballistic tip bullets but I've used Nosler's 180 BT on deer size game. On either case, it would NOT be my prime choice.

I harvested a MT bull elk in 2013 with 190 Berger VLD in .300 WM at 931 yards. Having said that, IIWY, I'd load the 230s per Armored Transport and you' re golden. JMHHO, the 230 and 300 RUM are perfect match.

BTW, while it is ideal for pass through, the VLDs are designed to expend ~80% (or thereabout) of it's energy almost immediately upon entry.

Also, do custom search on the top right hand corner for Berger 215/230 by BROZ and you'll see why.

Cheers!

Thanks for all the feedback guys sorry it took so long for me to get back. All information is much appreciated as we do not have elk down in South Texas unless they are caged (high fence). I plan on being comfortable shooting out to 800 yards and I guess I'm wrong about the 210 grain Hornady that I have. I need to look again but with that being said are the 210 Hornady a good bullet to use for that range?

I don't see a 210 Hornady listed. If it's a interbond, I'd use it. If it's a 208 Amax, I can't comment. Lots of people have used it with success.

Thanks for all the feedback guys sorry it took so long for me to get back. All information is much appreciated as we do not have elk down in South Texas unless they are caged (high fence). I plan on being comfortable shooting out to 800 yards and I guess I'm wrong about the 210 grain Hornady that I have. I need to look again but with that being said are the 210 Hornady a good bullet to use for that range?

The closest to a 210 grain tipped in .308 cal is the 208 A-Max. I have used the 178 and 208 on deer size game only with very good success.

You've been given a sound advice, what you do with it is entirely up to you.

BTW, this discussion is better suited outside the classified forum.

Cheers!