• You must be a Supporting Member to create a listing in the Long Range Hunting Marketplace. To read all the rules, click here.

We offer multiple options to become a Supporting Member here.

SOLD/EXPIRED WTB 300 WBY: Safe transaction

TXFlyer

Sorry this post is a little off topic, but I wasn't sure where else to post it.

I have been negotiating with a couple LHR members to buy a rifle but not quite sure how to go about it without being scammed. I have one seller request I send a money order and he'll ship the gun to me. As much as I'd like to do that and not worry about it (especially on a forum like this)--I wasn't born yesterday.

I read the Accurateshooter.com link and it's good info but still a little general.

How have you verified sellers are not scammers? There are no protections on this forum like other internet firearms classified sites, so what do you recommend?

(by the way, I'm looking for an Weatherby Accumark / 300 WBY)

Ask you local dealer that is going to accept the rifle for you to handle the money as well. The seller is going to have to send a copy of his drivers license for the dealer to accept the gun, or the seller is going to have to send via another dealer. Try calling the seller and speaking direct. Speaking to someone on the phone seems to be taboo nowadays but it may give you a "feel" for the seller.....

Your fears were the same as mine in 2009 when I sent $3500 to someone I never spoke to or met, for a gun that all I had seen was in pictures. About 40 purchases later, I am still going strong and very pleased with every person I have met and dealt with on this site. Does that mean everyone is on the up and up? No it does not.

Click on the persons screen name and check their history. Check posts and threads. If they made deals with other members, ask members if the person followed through. I have not done this lately as I have felt very comfortable dealing with people. I sent of over 3K on Tuesday to a guy I have only spoken with on the phone once. Am I concerned? No I am not. I could tell by his voice he was an upstanding individual.

If you have a feeling that things are not right in your gut, dont make the deal. Unfortnaltey at some point you just have to trust someone.

Get their full name and address. Get a cell number and call it back to verify later in the day. You can google the name and address to try to verify. If you use USPS MO, then it is a federal crime for someone to cash that if it is not who they really are. I doubt scammers have infiltrated our little community, but to make sure ask other members about people. I only have a few "friends" on this site on my profile, but I feel good that if you asked people on this site about me, you would get nothing but 100% positive feedback.

Be careful, do a little homework and good luck. If you are still worried, dont make the deal unless it is face to face.

Roger

As sealsniper said at first it is a weird feeling send money to someone you don't know but call and talk to them on the phone and check to see how long they have been a member check their post count. Check to see what they have been posting. If they had sold things via the classifieds here on LRH and if he posted who it was sold to. pm the buyer of the items he's sold and find out how the transaction went for them. Just simple little things that give you a little more comfort when sending money out. I've always sent the money and once they recieve the money the item I've bought then will be sent. Be smart when you send the money. send it with signature confirmation that way who ever picks it up has to sign for it and usually will have to verify there signature with a drivers license. If you are still worried about the transaction have the seller ship it FFL to FFL and you could even go as far as having the rifle dropped off to the ffl before you even send the money. It's very rare to make someone go through that trouble though.

All of the above and more. Ask the seller to ship to your FFL for your inspection. When it's there, look it over and send your payment. (It's a federal crime for the dealer to screw with either of you, so the seller is relatively protected, too.) All that said, I've shipped off lots of $$$$ and the worst that happened was getting my check back when the seller got a better offer. If it doesn't feel right, it probably isn't. Good luck

I would have to say i would have to repectfully decine on the deal if the buyer requested that. I've bought and sold a lot of guns on this board and have never thought Of doing this. I'd have to past on the deal and wait for the next buyer to come along. Not because I don't think it's safe just for the simple fact that if I'm going to send out a rifle I'm going to have something in hand to show for the item I'm sending out.

Just how I do business.

Bottom line if you feel uncomfortable with a deal don't do it!! There's a lot of rifles out there. There will be another one that will come around eventually.

All of the above and more. Ask the seller to ship to your FFL for your inspection. When it's there, look it over and send your payment. (It's a federal crime for the dealer to screw with either of you, so the seller is relatively protected, too.) All that said, I've shipped off lots of $$$$ and the worst that happened was getting my check back when the seller got a better offer. If it doesn't feel right, it probably isn't. Good luck

Really depends on the seller. I only use USPS MO or certified checks from my bank. I prefer certified checks as they don't cost me anything extra and I don't have to wait in line at the local PO. I don't have a pay pal account but knows my people like to deal that way as a gift. You have a little more protection with a MO but I do whatever seller requests.

Good Guy List...

This thread was started earlier this year. Has a lot of folks on it that are regulars on this forum and have proven to be trustful in the past.

FWIW - I bought a rifle from someone on this list earlier in the year and was very pleased with both the transaction and the rifle I received.

Thread in this forum --- http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f25/good-guy-list-107138/?highlight=dragman

Seller stated the gun shot ragged holes. He wasn't kidding.

Attachments

• IMG_20130311_195950.jpg
    IMG_20130311_195950.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 11
what i do and i dont know if this is absoluely safe or not is first ask for the serial number and keep all corespondence copied. Do not make the deal over the phone as there will be no records. then pay with a postal money order as that way he can be procecuted for mail fraud if he stiffs you. to be honest ive bought probably 50 guns over the internet and have never been stiffed yet.

Recent Posts