WSSM Encore

have not ever seen one in the WSSM, if pressures are kept lower than factory , it may not stress barrel as bad.
nmhunter

[ QUOTE ]
243 WSSM in the Encore pistol. Can it be done? If so, who is doing it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes it can be done but you will not be able to use the cartridge to its potential. In fact you will have to hand load so that you can download the round. Not much reason to do the 243wssm. Of course this would be my opinion, you may reseach and come to your own decision.

The company that will build this is called MGMachine.

Hi the Encore was never designed for a cartrige that was larger in diameter than a standard Magnum round. Their was a recent thread on another forum where a 338-300 Ultra was blown up. The Encore does not have enough tennon around the cartrice case for a safety margin my advice DONT DO IT. The internal pressure of all of the short mags and super shorts is also above the pressure levels the action was designed to stand you are looking for problems. I cant believe that the company that made the 338-300 ultra is still chambering the larger diameter cases for the Encore after the blow up but that is up to you. Just use a 243 or 6mm Rem if you want more get up and go get a 6mm Rem improved you dont have any AOL length restrictions with the break open actions so stay away from the fat cases.

Cheers Bill
Australia

The issue is not chamber pressure. The problem is rearward thrust. WSM's and WSSM's are fat cases and produce a great deal of "bolt thrust" or "rearward thrust". Can the Encore reciever handle it? They're great guns but I wouldn't trust it.

actualy the rearward thrust on the WSM and WSSM's is less than alot of other rounds like the 22-250 and 220 Swift and others that the case has alot of taper and their isin't any trouble with them running into frame battering problems when they are loaded to sane pressures.

The Encores barrel is only 1" in diameter at the case head which on the WSSM , WSM and RUM's is well over .500" leaving less than .250" of chamber wall and thats unsafe anyway you look at it. I have seen Encores that were screwed up for guys trying to push a 30-06 to 300 mag velocities , the barrle had bulged to the point that it woulden't close anymore. Now that is a 30-06 case that is alot smaller in diameter than the WSSM and has more bolt thrust and it screwed up the barrel from pressure.

In order to get the WSSM to shoot well safely your going to be running it at lower pressures than it was desgined for which is going to reduce your velocity. I'd be willing to bet that you could runn the regular 243 up to higher velocities and it would be alot more safe , and I know that you can do it with the 243 Ai cause I've seen it done several time with bolt guns.

I'm not sure what it is that you looking for out of the 243WSSM case but I personaly think that their are alot better choices out their that will give you better performance with less headache.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts