WSM questions????

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by long range dogr, May 19, 2010.

1. long range dogr

long range dogr Well-Known Member

Long story short,i'm wanting to build a new hunting rifle this year.I already have a 300wsm that weighs about 18 pounds.So i'm gonna go a little lighter for this build.And i'm wanting to build a 7mmWSM.

My question is, Are all wsm boltfaces the same? The reason i ask is because i can pick up a 270wsm Remington very cheap from a local pawn shop.I'm just wanting to use the action as a donor.

So will this work? Or will i need to buy one with the already corect chambering?

Thanks in advance fellas.I'm sorry if this topic has been covered already.

2. blipelt

blipelt Well-Known Member

My 7wsm is built off a long action so it feeds the longer, high bc bullets smoothly. As far as bolt face they should all be the same .

If you want to save a couple of bucks, check to see if Savage has one chambered in 7wsm. A little added work from a gunsmith and you will have a rifle that will compete with my full custom for alot less money. You also might want to check into the 7-300wsm. Rather easy to reload for and you have the benefit of better brass.

Brent

Last edited: May 19, 2010

3. J E Custom

J E Custom Well-Known Member

Yes it is the same bolt face as the other WSMs the only difference in the WSM besides calibres
    is that the 7 WSM case is longer than all other WSMs giving it a little more case capacity.

It is my favorite WSM cartrige. and works well in a short action.

The 7 WSM is not as easy to find factory ammo for but if you reload they have a large selection
    of bullet types and weights.

J E CUSTOM

4. Mikecr

Mikecr Well-Known Member

+1 Savage WSM action. The donor I have/had(until stolen by a Canadian gs) is the best action I've seen to date. I would even choose it over my BAT's -for WSM.

Proper WSM actions depart from the norm, and I don't know that Remington knows enough about basic design to build one right.

Pick up a Savage in any WSM, and toss all but the action/accutrigger.
    Note that it is not a short action, and it uses their largest barrel threading. It is also CRPF with standing blade ejection.

5. winmag

winmag Well-Known Member

Yes, same size bolt face. Stick with your Rem donor action plan and youll have a smooth rig.

6. blipelt

Guys can you stick with the staggered feed with the wsm? When I built my first one on a short action with a center feed clip we had all sorts of feeding problems with the longer bullets. Granted there wasn't many options for bottom metal at the time. I am guessing the wyatts helped out alot. I sure would like to know my options since I am contemplating on a light carry built in the wsm.

Thanks

Brent

7. J E Custom

J E Custom Well-Known Member

Yes the staggered mag will work but it is finicky and won't normally hold more than 2 rounds
    without popping out during loading.

The center feed works great with a flat bottom bullet follower and can be tuned.

J E CUSTOM

8. long range dogr

long range dogr Well-Known Member

Thanks for the reply's fellas!

I had originally planned on building this on a savage platform.But i got a smoking deal on a manners T2 stock thats inletted for a remmi short action.

9. winmag

winmag Well-Known Member

I hold 3+1 in my Model-70, 270wsm. Feeds long bullets fine. My dads is the same. However the Model-70 with the controlled round push feed (w/o extractor claw) sometimes requires you to push the bolt half way then pushing it again when loading longer bullets. I think it has something to do with ligning up the rim of the case with the plunger extractor while it comes up from the stagered mag. Kind of a steep angle till it ''popps up''. I dont know if this was a ''in general question'' dealing with stagered bottom metal, or strictly for the Savage guys.

10. blipelt

Yeah I should of elaborated with the push feed. The control feed you shouldn't have an issue. Thanks for the info.

Brent