WSM on a Long Action?

shiredude

Gonna start a new build and am definately going w/ a long action reciever. I was thinking of building a clip fed WSM, which would eliminate any feeding issues with the longer 168 & 180's. My reloading manuals are showing a couple thousandths difference in the bolt face of a short mag and that of a normal mag bolt. Didn't know if I would have to open the face up, and if so, if I eventually went back to a normal mag cartridge (STW, 300, etc), would the extra work be wasted?

The wsm will work with that boltface without any mods i have a friend that built one on a long action,he had the same thoughts as you leaving himself the option to go back to a full length magnum if he wasn't happy,turned out to be great no feeding issues and plenty of room for the 200smk and 210 bergers he wanted to use,2950fps was the average with 200 smk's,no pressure out of a 28" tube.Good luck with your build.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.