Wringing a bit more accuracy

Billinsd

Hi, I have a Model 70 Winchester, 30-06 that is a few years old. I can get 1 MOA accuracy off of the bench.

I adjusted the trigger to 3.5 lbs and that is the most I have done.

The stock is original and synthetic, the barrel appears to be floated, but the action is not bedded really well.

Otherwise it seems pretty good.

With a 1 MOA off of a bench, what is the best I can hope for off of a tripod in the field?

I am using a Stoney Point Pivit point tripod and the tag a long arm that keeps the but of the rifle steady.

I have a Leupold 4.5 x14 power scope.

Off of the tripod I have about a 7 inch group at 460 yards.

What are your thoughts
Thanks
Bill

To answer the bipod accuracy question part of your post:

If your setup is good (I assume you're shooting prone) you should expect as good or better accuracy than off of the bench.

Other than that, answering Sendero's questions would be good.

Are you shooting factory or hand loads ?

What are you shooting load wise?

Does your scope have an AO ?

How many rounds down the tube ?

Sendero_Man, I am shooting Hornady Light Magnum, 30-06, 150 grain ssts factory loads, my scope is the Leupold long range 4.5 x 14 and has the side focus parallex, and I have shot about 600 rounds through the barrel, give or take.

RoyinIdaho, I can shoot about 1 MOA off of a really steady bench rest, however off of my tripod, which is a stoney point rapid pivit and a tag along arm for the butt, I am getting about 2 or so MOA. No, I have not shoot prone.

I have a sheep hunt in December so I cannot really send the gun away to a gunsmith for a long time. I just need to figure out how to shoot better in hunting conditions, thanks
Bill

Shooting a 180 Speer spbt with 58gr of RL-22 in rem cases with 210M
shot well out to 800yds at my last match.

first of all, you are shooting factory so that leaves out handloading advice.

I will assume that you sandbaged your rifle and shot several different types of ammo to find the one that shoots the best (if not, do so!)

If you want to shoot well in the field, then practice shooting with the equipment that you will use in the field. Shooting off of a bipod or a tripod with the proper tecniques will not harm your accuracy. Accuracy comes from shooting a lot of ammo and becomeing comfortable with your rifle. You have to take into account what the country you are going to shoot in is like. For instance, I shoot out of a stand and in a grassy prairy so I practice with a high standing bipod and leaning shots. My biggest consern is to support the stock of the rifle good and proper when I shoot. It is the only way I get good shots. I try to use a bipod with a pack, coat or somthing to put under the butt in order to apply down pressure on the stock and push it against the pack or coat when I shoot so that I take away most of the little shakes.

sounds like you are already shooting at range for practice - that's good.

As for your rifle, the next step is to bed your action. I know the smith I use would get it done in a couple weeks. You may even be able to do it yourself (I wouldn't however). Make sure all your screws are reasonbly tight on the rifle too. I like a 2 pound trigger on a hunting rifle, 3.5 is a little heavy for my taste. but you have to ballence that with your own comfort level of safety. trigger control is huge. I also put a limbsaver recoil pad on my 300wsm - boy did that help!

good luck, mark

Mark, thanks yes, I tried a bunch of different off the shelf ammo. That Hornady 150 grain sst light mag was as good or better than any.

Yes, I lightened the trigger to 3.5 pounds and now to 2.5 pounds, and I'll see how that does.

I think it is all a matter of my shooting skills to get the groups down. I mean I need to really steady the gun and also keep looking after the shot. I think I maybe pulling my head away after the shot.

Thanks
Bill

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts